Crazed man attacks motorcyclists for lane splitting

You’d better if you ever drive in California because I see it every time I’m stuck in traffic.

And by the way, when did lane splitting become a thing? Isn’t that the main reason that bikers bike - to cut through the traffic? Don’t we as drivers have mirrors for a reason?

1 Like

Well yeah, which is why I said “sane motorcyclists” - high speed lane splitters aren’t really sane… For the most part.

Actually it is explicitly legal in California. It’s also not explicitly illegal in many other states.

Text of the current code reads:

21658.1. (a) A motorcycle, as defined in Section 400, that has two wheels in contact with the ground may be driven between rows of stopped or moving vehicles in the same lane, including both divided and undivided streets, roads, or highways, if both of the following conditions are present:
(1) The motorcycle is not driven at a speed of more than 50 miles per hour.
(2) The motorcycle is not driven more than 15 miles per hour faster than the speed of traffic moving in the same direction.
(b) This section does not authorize a motorcycle to be driven in contravention of other laws relating to the safe operation of a vehicle.
SEC. 2. No reimbursement is required by this act pursuant to Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution because the only costs that may be incurred by a local agency or school district will be incurred because this act creates a new crime or infraction, eliminates a crime or infraction, or changes the penalty for a crime or infraction, within the meaning of Section 17556 of the Government Code, or changes the definition of a crime within the meaning of Section 6 of Article XIII B of the California Constitution.

7 Likes

Oh, and that example I gave above, of going around the cars stuck behind the one …individual… going the precise speed limit in the HOV lane? That always felt like one of the safest splits that I did. Say they are doing 60, and the traffic next to them is stuck at 40. The poor stuck people are keeping a nice wide distance from the slower traffic. No one is pulling into or out of the lane quickly without looking. I’m right next to a pack of cars doing 60, so folk don’t often cut in ahead of them. Pop into the gap at 70 or so, brrpt right through, and I can be back over in the diamond lane with no drama.

2 Likes

Excellent! Thanks for the cite - I only had word of mouth to go on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That one case notwithstanding, happy to oblige.

I always thought lane-splitting was a dick move when I was stuck in traffic in a car and I never did it when I was on my motorcycle either, but it wasn’t legal to do in the state where I was riding.

1 Like

AFAIK, lane splitting is fine in the UK, doesn’t bother me in the slightest. It’s only through reading threads like this that I finally learn why motorbikes don’t do it over here. It always confused me because I thought being able to get through traffic jams you’d otherwise be pointlessly stuck in was a big selling point for a bike.

And as a driver, I want bikes past me ASAP. The last place I want them is behind me.

Don’t see any reason for getting upset at someone finding a better way to commute than me. I don’t get home any quicker if they’re stuck behind me in a jam.

13 Likes

I think the upshot is that the study finds that lane-splitting is safer in heavy stop-and-go traffic but doesn’t come to any conclusions about which is safer at highway speeds.

My guess is staying in your lane.

1 Like

It seems to me motorcycle owners are similar to gun owners. Most of them are responsible, but the people who do stupid and/or dangerous stuff makes everyone look bad.

5 Likes

Of course, you need a license to own something as dangerous as a motorcycle.

11 Likes

We need a new amendment!

Or is there one about a right to a horse that could be stretched to cover it?

2 Likes

No, you need a license to to drive on on public roads.

You can drive it in your north 40 with out one.

1 Like

Why would you want to stretch a horse to cover a motorcycle anyway?

12 Likes

Get a new and boring big twist and go. They make big scooters now for those of us who don’t want to hassle with shifting gears all the time. :smile:

Hm. California and Nebraska seem to be the only two states in the USA that allow lane splitting (Nebraska only allowing it for pedal bikes, making California the only state to let motorbikes to do it), if I understand state laws correctly.

Here in Europe, lane splitting is somewhat more common. In Ireland, bicyclists are encouraged to come up to the front, where most cities have bicycle boxes at the front of the traffic lights. In Norway, motorbikers are actually encouraged to lane split up to the front.

In Sweden, lane splitting isn’t illegal, but you’re required to show due care and attention and keep a distance to the cars on either side that’s deemed safe, meaning you can’t blast through the gap at high speed. If a cop sees it, it’s up to the cop to evaluate whether the speed was careless or not, given the individual situation. Cops don’t seem to be overzealous about it, but in cases where carelessness is obvious, expect to get pulled over.

I am kinda tempted by that Honda Grom @beschizza was talking about a while ago. Either that or their Ruckus.

3 Likes

If you go for it, get your endorsement so you can legally go above 50cc as even on the city streets there are some where that isn’t enough zip to get out of the way.
There is/was a 250cc ruckus that is quite nice looking and the grom looks tiny. I commute most days on the 400cc Yamaha Majesty and 70mph seems to its happy zone to sit in not that I ever get to do that on i-90 west/i-5 north in the afternoons.

1 Like

I think I may have to get that Valkyrie that I always wanted. 6 or 7k for the vintage I like… man, that’s a pretty bike.

1 Like