Crazy Russian Hacker tries Durian - a very smelly fruit

Put yer money where your mouth is! :smiley:

3 Likes

A friend’s son came up with a clever way to try durian in a shake - he ordered one with half durian and half avacado (i think it was). It hid the smell well enough to allow one to finish the shake itself and enjoy it.

4 Likes

I’m afraid I just cannot give you a ‘like’ for that. It sounds too dislikable. :frowning:

1 Like

That’s just his experience. I’ve never had durian, so I can’t say either way.

2 Likes

Smells horrible, tastes pretty good.
Bonus fact: Tigers (and housecats who think they’re tigers) like durian which makes the orchards particularly dangerous during picking season.

3 Likes

As a pomologist, I was fascinated with the bipolar reports of the durian. It sounded like an addiction type process–those that could get it past their noses and taste it loved it, otherwise it was pure revilement. On actually encountering them, I was dissapointed. O.K., but not worth the bother, neither wonderful nor awful.

Lychees,on the other hand are wonderful, and yes, their texture is reminiscent of other delights.

4 Likes

So, it seems to be more of a disposal hazard than a consumption hazard. How does one dispose of the non-edible and uneaten parts without having to call a hazardous waste disposal company?

Burn it? Bury it?

Ah! That makes sense.

Most durian fans keep it in a durian-only tupperware in the back of the fridge. Even a cool temperature doesn’t get rid of the smell, only cold. Even on the tree it smells terrible.

1 Like

My durian experience was in Malaya. Where I also discovered Rambutan. Yum.

https://asianfruitworld.com/rambutan-vs-lychee-which-one-is-your-favorite-asian-fruit/

5 Likes

A very common sign in Malaysia where the higher end resorts won’t allow it. I was in a hotel restaurant in Ipoh some years back when my son saw a fridge with ice cream at the end of the room. He asked me if he could have some. I said sure and he came back with what he thought was mango ice cream. He tried some and generously gave it to me. I asked why and he said just don’t want it thanks. You can have it.

5 Likes

My mother in law ordered a birthday cake which was half durian (knowing that a few of us present won’t touch the stuff) but they kept cutting the cake different ways and couldn’t work out which half had the durian. Was it divided top to bottom, left to right of front to back? We couldn’t work it out. The whole thing tasted of durian.

But my Malaysian relatives love the stuff. When they get into fruit in a serious way they have to take the afternoon off. No more eating after that.

4 Likes

And let us not neglect the humble but lovable mangosteen! (And we ought remember the pinha, canepas, umbu, ciriguela, haw, haskap, paw paw, loquat, feijoa and ok, I’ll stop now…)

Oh man, those are by far the worst. Paw paws ate my maw maw!

(Actually, I think they’re pretty good, kind of a cross between mango and peach if I remember right.)

1 Like

I tried a durian popsicle and it smelled really garlicky to me - is that what the fresh fruit is like? Anyway - I love this guy.

Those are, as you say, pretty good. I’ve got a few trees growing in my yard… along with several fruits not mentioned above, yet no less yummy.

1 Like

I’ve had durian in a Dairy Queen blizzard and thought it was fine, although not as wonderful as its enthusiasts apparently feel it is.

1 Like

There are many types of durian. The engineered ones are the most delicious, expensive but can also be really pungent. If you have the chance, try a non-engineered one that grows normally in a normal kampung yard instead of the engineered ones with bombastic names like d24, musang king, (bittersweet with thick flesh) x-o (mostly bitter with hint of sweetness, called XO after liquor) etc… Also, Malaysian durians are highly regarded as we harvest them when they fall to the ground (a sign of ripeness) whereas Thai durians are harvested on the tree itself and then sprayed/dipped in sulphur and are artificially ripened. If you like the texture but not the pungentness, go for Thai durians instead. Malaysian durians have a kick that’s bigger than a flea bitten Texan mule…

7 Likes

They’re not that hard to get in the UK, and personally I quite liked the taste (I can see why people are mentioning lychee, it’s similar but different).
The smell on the other hand was some mixture of vomit and shit. Getting it close enough to your face to eat some took some doing, but the taste was almost nothing like the smell.

1 Like

Even though I am very old, have spent decades working in a university with an excellent college of tropical agriculture, and have a botanist as a father-in-law, I had to look this one up…wondering all the while why an Australian expert on Britons would be fascinated with reports on fruit.

2 Likes

I was betting on an apple expert. Well, at least the apple is a fruit.