Hawaii police seek fruit thieves who stole $1K worth of durian and other exotics

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/17/hawaii-police-seek-fruit-thiev.html

2 Likes

Follow the smell of disgusting rotting flesh, it’s sure to be the durian thieves.

3 Likes

What kind of animal would do such a thing

3 Likes

I looked for more information on this story. I love how subsequent “game of telephone” reporting call this a theft of US $1000 equivalent of durian.

Were it only the durian, I’d be very suspicious of the downwind neighbours.

5 Likes

If the thieves decide to take them off island, and eat one on the plane, they can be sure that someone will start punching the back of their seat.

6 Likes

Hmm. Can’t find a Dr. Evil gif for “ONE. THOUSAND. DOLLARS!”

Catching them will be easy, just employ a bloodhound, and search in the opposite direction of where it goes.

2 Likes

ezgif.com-add-text (1)

7 Likes

We don’t have VAT in Hawaii. We do have a general excise tax that pyramids so much that our local anti-tax fanatics would like to replace it with a VAT.

1 Like

ezgif.com-add-text (2)

4 Likes

Stealing someone’s harvest is NOT the aloha spirit. Stupid haoles

4 Likes

Maybe they should invest in one of these.

6 Likes

I looked for more information on this story. I love how subsequent “game of telephone” reporting call this a theft of US $1000 equivalent of durian.

Notoriously inflated street price

2 Likes

I know who did it!

3 Likes
1 Like

people.
FTFY.

2 Likes

rotting corpses? dead fish?

It clearly smells/tastes like rancid fried onions mixed with custard.

2 Likes

I was sitting at my gate at the Taipei airport when two elderly Filipino ladies pulled durian out of a purse for a pre-flight snack. I’ve never seen a crowded gate area empty so fast. Everyone was smashed against the wall across the airport corridor. I didn’t want to give up my good seat near the boarding doors so it was just me and the ladies chillin’. After 5 long stinky minutes I started to acclimate to the smell and it didn’t seem so bad. (After hearing about the fruit for many years, this was my first actual encounter).

6 Likes

Shaun Cassidy?! Say it isn’t so!

1 Like

“Duri-under arrest”
-these police, probably.

2 Likes

There is so much wonderful fruit in Hawaii. Why in the name of all the merciful gods would you steal durian?