Create perfect fried rice with this recipe

Originally published at: Create perfect fried rice with this recipe | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Alex did a series on fried rice last year. I didn’t watch it because I’m not a huge fan of fried rice (and I have my own style), but I’m sure it’s worth watching as he always discovers useful secrets.

ETA: this is the last video in the series, so it’s probably worth watching all of them if you want all the tips.

4 Likes

Having watched the video, I’d agree that it’s a good primer for beginners in Chinese cooking, especially with the explanations of how to adjust if one does not have access to the right ingredients.

One small addition: if you can’t find (or don’t want to use) Shaoxing wine, Japanese mirin rice wine at least keeps a more Eastern rather than Western flavor, instead of using sherry.

10 Likes

Psst. Out of band, but Podcast.AI promises podcasts to order kinda…2 for starters, but it’s Neil DeGrasse Tyson interviewing Richard Feynman and another. Too fun didn’t listen.

4 Likes

I like fried rice, but not enough to buy a gas burner and wok. I use an induction cooktop. As always, J. Kenji Lopez-Alt had some good tips for the missing wok, and/or the missing jet-engine burner most Asian restaurants use.

1 Like

Induction wok “burners” rip.

Yes, but that would still necessitate me buying expensive equipment just for stir-frying. Maybe someday.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.