Crispin Glover's "Clowny Clown Clown" music video is a gem

Originally published at: Crispin Glover's "Clowny Clown Clown" music video is a gem | Boing Boing

6 Likes
10 Likes

I have the album! :sunglasses:

8 Likes

Crispin. Hellion. Glover.

Nominative determinism, or just very cool name?

7 Likes

It’s as well his Dad’s middle name.

6 Likes

Oh, Man, this takes me back. In the late 80s/ early 90s Glover was up there with David Lynch in the genre of inexplicably compelling surrealism. His work was a touchstone for the crowd I ran with back in college.

7 Likes

Crispin Glover was one of the more interesting celebrity sightings I’ve had.

While he was working on Twister, in Wichita, KS, there really wasn’t much to do in town around that time besides movies, bars, or “dragging” Douglas avenue downtown on a weekend night.

It was just such a night when I was standing on the sidewalk on Douglas talking to some friends, when who other than Crispin Glover comes whizzing past on a touring bicycle. Nobody believed me at the time.

11 Likes

I love that record! It’s genuinely amazing. I’ll never forget his sobbing delivery on “These Boots Were Made for Walking” and the bizarre version of “The Daring Young Man on the Flying Trapeze” but his originals were just fantastically weird.

8 Likes

The album was also some kind of contest or esoteric treasure hunt. you were supposed to call up his toll free number if you figured out the clues. I heard it had to do with the weird character he sometimes plays (the same character that got him removed from Letterman.)

5 Likes

Speaking of which - his ‘Daddy is so Mean’ song might be the highlight of that movie. I’ve made several people watch that over the years, with the caveat that they don’t tell me what they think untill two weeks later. First response is usually “boring”, but after letting it sink in, that changes to “genius”. A movie that keeps getting better the more time that’s passed since you watched it. Unique.

7 Likes

He sounds like…

…with more personality, and not as good, really.

1 Like

Really? I guess I’ll have to go back and watch it again, then.

Interested Thinking GIF by reactionseditor

2 Likes

“It’s a good thing we’re not all mad the one way.”

So do I, saw it in a shop a couple years back and couldn’t stop myself from buying it!

1 Like

His dad’s middle name is Herbert, but he did play a bond villain!

Source: They’re my relatives. Crispin’s grandfather and my grandfather were twins.

6 Likes

Oh shit, I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject.

1 Like
4 Likes

If you like movie people barely singing in a song about clowns you may enjoy this: David Lynch - Crazy Clown Time (Official Video) - YouTube

Also, the Aquabats just did a couple of Radventures about Clowny Clown Clown

Really something in Willard. Like sure, let’s make villains, same to me.
So is BMTValternative the new YT channel, or is there a new one past 2009?