Crooks collared for using FBI's fake encrypted messaging platform learn the dangers of proprietary software

Actually, TOR was and still is (kind of) a pain for them to hack but it’s been done before, usually via distribution of a hacked client, trying to get one acting as a gateway. I’m sure it’s been done many times since =) .

1 Like
2 Likes

FBI paid renegade developer $180k for backdoored AN0M chat app that brought down drug underworld

The guy had also worked on Phantom Secure and Sky Global.

2 Likes

It was an international operation, involving police forces all over the world. So sooner or later it would have been leaked by a corrupt cop to someone. This operation could only go on for a short while.

5 Likes

We got close to a hundred arrests related to this in Finland, as well as plenty of drugs, money and guns confiscated. Also, the police found a 3d printing setup in a warehouse, making gun parts illegally.

1 Like

So now the criminals are going to make their own software?

There are two rules of encryption technology, that I know about and understand:
Never roll your own.
Never trust it if you can’t see where it keeps its brain.

1 Like

I would think so. The cartels in Mexico have made their own radio communications networks using kidnapped engineers.

Can-and-string telephones aren’t as secure as you might expect, as Bart and Milhouse learned.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.