Crowdfund campaign for a 500-kilometer walk across rural Japan

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/13/crowdfund-campaign-for-a-500-k.html

4 Likes

Why do people expect others to support their hobbies?

1 Like

I’ve supported around 60 crowdfunded campaigns. Sometimes it was because I wanted the product of the campaign but quite often it was just to support some cool art, student science or charity projects and any tangible rewards were not really the point for me.

In no case did they “expect” anyone to support them. What they did say was they would like to do a project and if folks were interested in helping the project come to be then thank you. If that is not for you, then carry on. No one is personally asking you to participate.

12 Likes

310 mile walk? Where do I sign up?

5 Likes

samurai-champ-exhausted

[ETA] Also, @reactionabe, how are people going to walk across something that isn’t real?

10 Likes

I’ve been thinking of doing a Camino de Santiago at some point in the next few years.

7 Likes

An imaginary walk! Travelling without leaving home! Wake up Sheeple!

2 Likes

I mean, just look at those people from “Japan” that I just posted… Do THOSE look like real people to you? Not bloody likely! Next we’ll be talking about a globe, and planets, and a MOON, for christ’s sake!

2 Likes

I’ve known a few people that have done the Camino and it sounded like a very positive experience.

4 Likes

Had to look that up! that sounds like it would be awesome.

3 Likes

And calendars…

… and tides ferchisakes!
(how do they work?)

3 Likes

Exactly, EXACTLY! This guy… he gets it!

3 Likes

I think you know a lot about this …

Turning suspicious mode on …

Mental note for myself: buy more tinfoil next morning.

2 Likes

The very idea of tin foil hats protecting anyone from anything is a conspiracy cooked up by Reynolds Aluminum. You’d be a lot better off with a KFC firelog.

5 Likes

Can I join in the walk though? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been involved in the long distance hiking community for many years, having hiked the Pacific Crest Trail and other things. Every season, you can count on folks doing gofundme type campaigns to raise funds for their long hikes, aka vacations. It’s pretty frowned on in the community. Nobody is doing anything “heroic” here- thousands of people every year hike multi-month routes. Now, this guy at least seems to be offering some sort of product in exchange for a contribution, which is fine, but simply holding out your hand for a donation from the general public (ie not just your friends/family) to your vacation fund is lame.

A branch of my in-laws are fundamentalist xtians.
They are fond of asking extended family members to help pay for the spreading of their faith on their honeymoons. Costa Rica seems to be a popular destination.

2 Likes

Seriously. That is super doable in a month or so. Easy peasy in 2, even with hills.

And winter down that way is pretty mild for a North American (who’s from north of the Mason-Dixon anyways).

1 Like

Funkadelicaly…

2 Likes

I, too, would appreciate a crowdfunding of my dream holiday.