Triple amputee veteran starts GoFundMe for Trump's border wall

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/20/triple-amputee-veteran-starts.html

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate his service, but has he been checked for brain damage?

32 Likes

Is this one of the campaigns where any amount raised goes to the person at the end, or do they have to hit their goal of $1B before the money is released?

I can’t find indication one way or the other on the GoFundMe site.

Edit: Buried near the bottom of one of the many lists on that page is the following:
• If we don’t reach our goal or come significantly close we will refund every single penny. We are working on a time frame to achieve.

So this is just a stunt. There is no chance he’s going to hit his goal, and people donating can pledge more or less whatever they want as a statement without worrying that they’ll actually be out the money.

36 Likes

The President?

17 Likes

Go for it, suckers; that money will only end up lining some greedy opportunist’s pockets.

28 Likes

No, he said service. Trump serves only himself. This soldier, while misguided, has actually served his country, up until this foolishness.

7 Likes

27 Likes

And why not? Americans spend their money on stupid things every day. And you don’t get much more stupid than a wannabe dictator’s xenophobic campaign bait.

10 Likes

LOL good luck with that.

5 Likes

" • How will we get the funds to the right place? We have contacted the Trump Administration to secure a point of contact where all the funds will go upon completion. When we get this information secured we will update. We have many very high level contacts already helping."

Handing a point of contact within the Trump admin $5 million seems like… not a great way to have the money go toward the cause it was originally intended for.

41 Likes

Everything I have read suggests that one billion bucks is a laughably inadequte sum.

Also, how does Kolfage intend to get this money to the government in a way that ensures it is actually spent on building a border wall, and not just put into the general fund? How do his contributors know their money will actually go to the building of a wall and not to the lining of someone’s pocket?

15 Likes

Is the government actually able to accept and use this kind of donation?

3 Likes

They’ll put the money into the Trump foundation. After all, it’s completely above board right?

16 Likes

I am facepalming so hard I may transport into another dimension. See y’all on the flip.

19 Likes

Wait; take me with you!

20 Likes

Laughable. Where do they think the other $19 Billion is going to come from?

5 Likes

Where we’re going, we don’t need roads. Or walls. Or easily conned rubes.

16 Likes

Is this text from GoFundMe, or from him?

Being a veteran and amputee does not necessarily discount the possibility that this is itself a scam.

13 Likes

More than likely it’s a performative stunt or a scam; this fund is unlikely to reach it’s goal, and somehow I don’t quite trust them to actually give the donated money back if they fail.

11 Likes

Good for him! This project lets racists, idiots, and other assorted assholes to throw their own money down a well without bothering the rest of us. I hope it continues to raise money for the foreseeable future, and anyone who feels strongly about it donates a good chunk of their disposable income to the cause.

13 Likes