Trump supporters astonished to learn that the man they gave $20m to "build the wall" has nothing to show for it

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/12/totally-unforeseeable-2.html

13 Likes

I guess he’s not wrong there, that really is where he left it.

49 Likes

33 Likes

Whether they’re contributing money to a charlatan like this or voting for Il Douche or, indeed, for any GOP politician, America’s Know-Nothing 27% are born suckers.

47 Likes

Just think, even in 2015 it would have seemed remarkable that a President of the United States would be uncontroversially referred to in those terms.

35 Likes

They deserve every dime they lost.

35 Likes

Perspective is everything, surely? I expect there’s still a segment of the population who would regard that designation as “controversial” – likely a similar segment who would have referred to the previous president with such terms.

8 Likes

There’s also a segment of the population who consider drinking urine as a pleasurable communal pasttime too, but we don’t talk about them. I never thought I’d say “Can we have George W Bush back for another term instead of Trump? Pretty, pretty please with sugar on top?” but that’s twice now.

7 Likes

Look, he doesn’t have nothing to show for it. If this story is true, he has a very nice yacht to show for the money.

What I really like about this story is that people who were aware of this guy, and knew he had run scams in the past, still gave him money for this obvious scam, because of the other people who were willing to lend their names to it. You know, like totally legit dude Kris Kobach.

If I were the sort of person who ran scams, I’d be targeting Trump supporters right now, as they’ve proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that they’re ripe for scamming. Trump himself was like the poorly written initial letters in the Nigerian prince scam - if someone was credulous enough to support Trump, despite his obvious untrustworthiness, they’d buy anything.

51 Likes

Well…

I remember meeting a bunch of a friend’s WNBA-fan friends in a bar in the Bush II era, and consciously moderating what I said about him. But if I was in that situation today, I wouldn’t think twice about mentioning that their president is a garbage person, because even if they were mildly Republican the idea could hardly be considered shocking. It’s a fairly extreme position to think that he is an excusable human being.

13 Likes

Indeed, the prez. is the filter.

5 Likes

They raised more than $20m

Well Trump ran the exact same grift… wish it only cost us $20M.

23 Likes

I’m expecting Trump to award this huckster with the Medal of Freedom at this point.

14 Likes

I don’t really know how to feel about this (“smug” comes to mind, of course). The optimal outcome would be if people who had their money repeatedly stolen renounced their allegiance to the right-wing. But that’s not a likely result, is it? Say you’d engaged one of these suckers in conversation, and they freely admitted that this guy had suckered them. What would be the optimal line of discussion to take with them?

5 Likes

“Where’s wall dough?”

51 Likes

Presumably he’s sailing it up and down the Rio Grande as a one-man coast guard.

19 Likes

“Shouldn’t the weathliest 2-5% pay for this? I mean, they’re the ones who are exploiting all the very cheap labor being supplied by illegal immigration in the first place. They’re the ones who keep choosing cheap immigrant labor over americans. They’re the ones outsourcing jobs. They’re the ones paying less than 1% income tax while you pay 30+%. They should be the ones who pay for a wall since they’re the ones causing the problem.”

15 Likes

Yacht? That’s a shitty cabin cruiser with four outboards.

The con continues…

13 Likes

tumblr_prd3wg7sDK1qaj875_540

48 Likes

Grift attracts grifters.

5 Likes