Crows atop other birds

isn’t the one on the buzzard a magpie? the beak and white patch make me think southern magpie, but the tail feathers are a bit on the short side.

1 Like

I’m not familiar with magpies that are non-local to me, so perhaps you’re correct. However, my magpies are far more handsome, there can be no doubt.
https://goo.gl/images/kAq0iy

2 Likes

I think it’s a collared crow

1 Like

Corvids are basically flying cats.

4 Likes

Not riding, but I saw a pair of ravens harassing an owl several years back. They chased it out of a cliff where it was roosting (I suspect it was a pair looking to protect their territory).

The owl took refuge in a small grotto under a rock and the the ravens were unsuccessful in rooting it out. They then retreated a ways off and the pair literally planned what they were going to do

When they returned, each got to either side of the owl so it couldn’t jump at them with its talons. And raven beak outguns owl beak. Now they had it cornered and totally fucked with it. The owl finally escaped and the lase i saw with the three of them disappearing over the horizon.

3 Likes

NOW I get why Theoden calls Gandalf “Stormcrow” in The Two Towers. It’s the bird-riding thing!

4 Likes

Of course you must be right, but I always thought jackdaws were green

“And they bought a Pig, and some green Jack-daws,
And a lovely Monkey with lollipop paws,
And forty bottles of Ring-Bo-Ree,
And no end of Stilton Cheese.”

I learned all my flora and fauna from Lear.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Clearly those owl scarecrows do not scare crows.

White-necked raven, I’d say. Still a corvid, like crows and magpies.

Some of these look kinda shoopy.

I’ve seen smaller birds pull the “harry 'em from above” trick on crows! Smaller, lighter birds can’t really be counterattacked in that position.

1 Like

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.