Crows can count and they do it out loud

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/28/crows-can-count-and-they-caw-as.html

9 Likes

I used to think that we have our opposable thumbs to thank for corvids not being in charge. Now I think it’s just a matter of time.

17 Likes

Crows can count and they caw as …

Seems like some words are missing from that sentence.

“they count?”

10 Likes

It’s not the counting that concerns me as much as the judging.

20 Likes

I’m fairly sure whales are doing complex math and think of us as morons for not understanding them.

2 Likes

corvid AP
“4 minus 2…”: caw caw
“2 minus 4…”: wac wac

7 Likes

26 Likes

Sure, they can count. But let’s see them design, conduct, and analyze elaborate research projects to prove we’re almost as smart as they are!

5 Likes

It’s missing the caws and effect :grin:

25 Likes

Dog Bird GIF

11 Likes

I admit, I set myself up for that one.

13 Likes

That’s just it, they are doing that as we speak! I read about this in the well-known documentary piece The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. Of course, he disguised them as rats, but that was because the corvids threatened him if he revealed the plot.

10 Likes

Recycling this from one of my other posts: The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw.

4 Likes

Our Deck Crows™ have a practice of looking at us in the kitchen from the railing, looking down at their feet, then back at us, as “excuse me, where are the treats?”

8 Likes

Previously:
Crow found holding unidentified human’s fingers in its beak

Uh, maybe we shouldn’t give them any ideas about what’s keeping them from becoming our overlords. :grimacing:

Nooo…I need them!! :pleading_face:

Confused Work From Home GIF

6 Likes

Stand-Up Lol GIF by Muppet Wiki

12 Likes

Sorry, Laurie.

:musical_note: Flying birds. Excellent birds. Watch them fly. There they go. [Don’t count them out.]

3 Likes

Just the occasional “We’ll be sorting through a garden now, and expect you to recognize our mise. You are on rep. 42 of something with that kettle bell.”

1 Like

If we start seeing evidence of physics calculations using base 4, we are hosed!

3 Likes
3 Likes