Cryptocurrency (and related fuckery)

3 Likes

I’m sure I heard about this podcast here.

5 Likes

And there you have written the prequel for Les Mis!

2 Likes
3 Likes

… at this point it’s like, a hundred million? is that all?

2 Likes

See, a few months earlier it would have been more like 325 million, and, well, heists take a while to plan, and time makes fools of us all…

3 Likes

Or tried to sell imaginary flour.

1 Like

“A court document filed by prosecutors on Friday alleges that Bankman-Fried messaged FTX US General Counsel Ryne Miller on Signal, asking to reconnect and “vet things with each other.””

People who thought he was a genius must be idiots.

4 Likes

Peak Ted Cruz or Peak Crypto?

Why not both!

3 Likes
6 Likes

South Korea’s Ministry of Justice will create a “Virtual Currency Tracking System” to crack down on money laundering facilitated by cryptocurrencies, and rated the establishment of the facility among its priorities for the year.

The Ministry last week announced its plans for 2023 with action against violent crime, sexual predators, and gang violence at the top of its list. Next came immigration reform.

In third place were a raft of measures aimed at addressing various unlawful actions such as tackling organized crime, repatriating accused criminals who abscond before facing local courts, improvements to criminal justice systems – and the aforementioned crypto-tracker.

[…]

4 Likes

Sam Bankman-Fried can be understood as one of the chief financiers of reactionary centrism.

In early January, the progressive strategist Max Berger posted a deeply researched investigation into the year-end Federal Election Commission filings on his Substack, Party Time. Berger’s inquiry helps clarify the reactionary centrist network. Poring over the filings, Berger “found more evidence SBF was collaborating with AIPAC and Trump-supporting billionaires to stop the growth of the squad and the electoral left.” Further, “SBF wasn’t primarily funding groups that help Democrats defeat Republicans. According to FEC data, over 75% of the money SBF contributed to Democrats in 2022 went to groups that spent nearly all their money on competitive primaries in the Democratic Party.”

Berger contends that the Democratic Party operative Mark Mellman was the likely ringleader of a coordinated effort in Democratic primaries to drown left candidates in a flood of dark money. Funding for this reactionary centrist project came, as Berger documents, not just from SBF but also from right-wing billionaires like “Bernard Marcus (owner of Home Depot), Robert Kraft (owner of the Patriots), and Paul Singer (owner of Elliot Investment Management).” On an institutional level, reactionary centrism expresses itself through organizations like the United Democracy Project, Democratic Majority for Israel, Protect Our Future, Web3 Forward, and Mainstream Democrats. These groups spent a total of more than $70 million to shove the Democratic Party to the right.

6 Likes

giphy (3) (2)

3 Likes

I’m shocked that there might be manipulation in the penny stocks of currencies.

11 Likes

13 Likes
3 Likes

That number is oddly specific and I bet there’s a story there. Having worked at enough giant companies, I can picture what happened here. Someone suggested 10,000 as a nice round number. Then some upper manager needed to justify his existence and said 5000 for some reasons he made up on the spot. Then a room full of suits argued for 45 minutes until they decided on 7500. At no point in that meeting did anyone say, “Hey, this whole NFT thing is bullshit and a waste of time, especially for a car company”. But no, that number was a very important thing to argue about.

I do not miss corporate life one bit.

10 Likes

4 Likes