Culinary history

Time for the long pig barbecue.

12 Likes

Long pig Kālua, I think you meant.

As @theodore604 notes, using that term in this context has a problematic history in a way that something like “eat the rich!” Or “off with their heads!” would not. Especially since you seem to be implying that the locals on this Pacific Island would be the ones doing the eating.

5 Likes

As far as I know- this has never been true for Hawaii.

Specificity matters.

Donner Party barbecue time.

3 Likes

References to acts of cannibalism are sprinkled throughout many religious and historical documents, such as the reports that cooked human flesh was being sold in 11th-century English markets during times of famine, says Jay Rubenstein, a historian at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville.
—

By the 16th century, cannibalism was not just part of the mental furniture of Europeans; it was a common part of everyday medicine from Spain to England.

Initially, little bits of pulverized mummies imported from Egypt were used in prescriptions against disease, but the practice soon expanded to include the flesh, skin, bone, blood, fat and urine of local cadavers, such as recently executed criminals and bodies dug up illegally from graveyards, says University of Durham’s Richard Sugg, who published a book in 2011 called Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires: The History of Corpse Medicine from the Renaissance to the Victorians.

Medicinal cannibalism reached a feverish pitch around 1680, Sugg says. But the practice can be traced back to the Greek doctor Galen, who recommended human blood as part of some remedies in the 2nd century A.D., and it continued all the way into the 20th century. In 1910, a German pharmaceutical catalog was still selling mummy, says Louise Noble, who also wrote a book on the topic called Medicinal Cannibalism in Early Modern English Literature and Culture.

While Europeans ate “mummy” to cure their physical ailments, the same culture sent missionaries and colonists to the New World to cure New World indigenous people of their purported barbaric cannibalism, some of which was entirely fabricated as a rationale for conquest, Bowdler says. “It’s certainly possible that Europeans were consuming more human flesh at the time than people in the New World,” Sugg says.

3 Likes

Same now as it was then… every accusation tends to be a confession.

5 Likes

The largest demographic groups on Maui are white & Asian people. Native Hawaiians and other Pacific Islanders are about 10% of the population.

If there’s nastiness being done - the odds heavily favor the transplants.

5 Likes

Melanesia. Not Polynesia.

Long pig - Oxford Reference.

https://www.etymonline.com/word/long%20pig

They’re different people and not all the same.

Edit:
To put that in perspective- farther apart than the entire continental US.

3 Likes

Once again you’re talking about which specific islands actually participated in cannibalism and I’m talking about general stereotypes. If your argument is that “western caricatures of Pacific Islanders as cannibals” has never been a problem (which is what my post was talking about) and that your choice to use that term had nothing to do with the fact we’re talking about an island then there’s really nothing else to discuss, I guess.

2 Likes

I’m glad you came back to tell me you had nothing to discuss with me.

Though it was you who brought up entymology. It’s not my fault it didn’t support you.

2 Likes

I grew up in NZ, and yes, we are very aware of the difference between Micronesia, Melanesia, Polynesia, but in general usage, we mostly use Polynesia to refer to the entire region.

Although cannibalism is more strongly linked with New Guinea, it wasn’t excusive by any means and occurred across the entire region in various degrees.

Personally I find references to eating long pig to be in the same vein as talking about getting pounded in the arse in prison, many people are happy with using those espressions but I find it an uncomfortable reference.

Anyway, as the dude says, this is just like my opinion, how you use the terms may be different.

2 Likes

Pass, thanks. I mean, I don’t even eat pork, so…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.