Cultural Observations of the GG thingee

Well, that’ll teach me to read a bit further into an article before linking it as “bringing something new to the discussion.”

This is not an excuse, but an explanation:

I got only as far as references to the English Civil War, and was lured by the “historically-ness” of it.

I apologize for bringing just another bit of GG dreck into this thread.

1 Like

I can’t blame you. I keep getting “popehat” confused with “antipope”, as in Charles Stross’s blog. And there was a lot of namedropping early in the piece.

1 Like

The alleged behavior is (at best) a breach of common sense, and (at worst) a major breach of journalistic ethics.

No.

At “best”, it’s private matter among three individuals that shouldn’t concern you in the least.

1 Like

I liked Popehat. The twitter feed used to be entertaining, and I always enjoyed Ken’s writing on the law (and his contributions here).

The angry political stuff I can do without, and I don’t like a twitter feed with multiple authors (sorry Clark, Patrick).

3 Likes

Having read the whole thing his history is really, really bad. This comment calls him out on pulling stuff out of his ass:

I don’t think you’ll find substantive similarities or useful ideas in those comparisons—you’ll find superficial, non-structural ones. Consequentially, I think you’re imposing a very contemporary progressive/conservative regime backward onto periods of history where it doesn’t belong, onto people who simply didn’t think like that.

3 Likes

Ken at Popehat is normally excellent. This guy is a raving loony.

1 Like

I’m a huge fan of Ken, but Clark is … um.

2 Likes

That’s some pretty excellent songwriting. Particularly considering he’s had to come up with (and perform, and record, and edit, and upload) a different song every day 2121 times before it. I’m becoming a fan.

2 Likes

This is worrying. I think of the Deadspin article, and I fear this will be the next US election cycle. Already with the fringe right involvement on the “actually, it’s about ethics” side, folks will be strategizing the best way to do political takedowns and smears using viral propagation of half- or total-falsehoods. (e.g., instead of one birth certificate meme we may see like 10).

Not that it hasn’t always been that way, but with the shift to more citizen/amateur participation brought by the critical mass on FB/TWTR, it will be different this time.

And, ugly.

We already saw a good bit of it with the last one. The birth certificate thing managed to have a scary amount of staying power, but think “palling around with terrorists”, “Death Panels”, or all the persistent ones about Obama being secretly Muslim. There was a glimmer of this sort of thing with the Clinton “hit list” conspiracy theory (which I’ve still seen pop up from time to time), but there’s been a lot more thrown around in the last cycle.

Compare Obama’s Snopes page with those of the presidents and candidates before him, and there’s a worrying escalation.

The worry is really how much worse it can get.

2 Likes

There was some Twitter activity from Occupy Wall Street last night that seem to be siding with GamerGate in the name of some sort of media conspiracy:

There are other tweets in their feed, but it seems to be people tweeting at OWS trying to say that people are trying to silence/slander them for speaking out for ethics in media. Or something. I can’t quite wrap my head around it, but it sure sounds like “this is about ethics in game journalism.”

VIA.

Who is Justine Tunney?

WARNING - NIGHTMARE FUEL

5 Likes

I hadn’t known about this until that tweet showed up on my timeline: that Twitter account is controlled exclusively by Justine Tunney. She was involved in Occupy Wall Street early on, but eventually cut ties with it, and started expressing bizarre far-right ideas, generally about abolishing democracy and replacing with some sort of feudal system in which tech workers are an aristocracy, or with some sort of direct government by corporations, particularly Google (where she works).

There’s some question of whether she believes what she’s saying, or if she’s just trolling people. In any case, if you go back through the recent timeline for @OccupyWallSt you can see an odd mix of right wing and left wing ideas.

Most of us would rather follow @OccupyWallStNYC on Twitter, I think.

3 Likes

I wonder why she doesn’t like Gawker?

http://valleywag.gawker.com/why-does-google-employ-a-pro-slavery-lunatic-1612868507

4 Likes

Ah, thanks everyone. Things make more sense now. I knew something wasn’t right. Will switch to the NYC edition.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 848 days. New replies are no longer allowed.