Curt Smith from Tears for Fears plays "Mad World" with his daughter Diva

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/06/curt-smith-from-tears-for-fear.html

13 Likes

Well done, Curt and Diva… Donnie would be proud.

10 Likes

That’s cool - the original artist covering the cover version. Trying to think of other examples…I doubt the Stones ever broke out Devo’s version of ‘Satisfaction.’ :stuck_out_tongue:

12 Likes

Right?

It’s probably easier to think of covers that work better than the originals. Cant think of any that do it better tho than the Donnie Darko one.

7 Likes

WOW. I couldn’t love this more.

2 Likes

Really excellent version; it is also great to feel the father/daughter connection. Thank you for sharing this.

An example that comes to mind is Neil Diamond covering UB40’s reggae cover version of his pop song “Red Red Wine”. He does this often in concert:
https://www.google.com/search?q=neil+diamond+red+red+wine+“reggae+version”&tbm=vid

4 Likes

That was lovely. I’m partial to this version, too:

7 Likes

Prepare to feel old:

1982 - Mad World by Tears For Fears

18 years

2000 - Mad World by Gary Jules

20 years

Now

12 Likes

That’s some damn good parenting right there.

9 Likes

Johnny Cash - Hurt is on my list

5 Likes

Ah ha, yes. I concur.

Feels more right these days too.

7 Likes

Now I’d like to hear her doing the lead vocals. She’s got a lovely voice.

3 Likes

I’m right there with you, via a different path. I didn’t like Tears for Fears in 1982–aware, but too young–and was introduced to the song by Mars & Mystre at a rave in Phoenix years later (see below), then heard Gary Jules, finally circling back to the original. I still like 'em in the order listed.

I would love to see someone rework the song for our COVID-19 times.
All around me are familiar faces (my family), rising early for our daily race to go nowhere.

1 Like

I’m very keen on this version:

but that father/daughter version was lovely

4 Likes

Another wonderful thing! Thanks.

But I’d really like to see the two of them record this in a studio, with his voice taken down in volume a tad (and perhaps a very, very sparse and quiet brush drum and cymbal type thing). That could be epic.

3 Likes

I needed that.

1 Like

And then there’s this.

5 Likes

Robert Smith has said that their live versions of “Just Like Heaven” have since been influenced by the Dinosaur Jr. version. I’ve never been able to pick it on any versions I’ve heard, tho.

Taylor Swift had to make a conscious effort to stop herself from slipping into the Ryan Adams versions of her songs on tour.

2 Likes

I don’t know him, but Curt Smith seems like a class act.

Apparently a youtube video of a hammered dulcimer player started to go viral, and he arranged to visit and perform with him for a low quality video to go on youtube…

Audio is super spotty at the beginning, then clears up.

7 Likes

Now I'm into it

2 Likes