Customers with "unusual" symptoms accuse Las Vegas restaurant of serving food laced with THC

Originally published at: Customers with "unusual" symptoms accuse Las Vegas restaurant of serving food laced with THC | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Somebody made the pad thai recipe from Snoop’s cookbook?

9 Likes

Ah, the “mystery sauce”, my fav.

9 Likes

Numbness?

lucious lyon wtf GIF

12 Likes

That’s a brand, a weed brand, Numbness Nuggets.

9 Likes

Oh, that sounds like it’s on the kid’s menu.

9 Likes

season 4 bake GIF by PBS

Sean Penn 80S GIF

9 Likes

You’d think that would garner a Michelin star? /s

6 Likes

Maybe one of the gold ones for first graders?

6 Likes

A friend who studied in Thailand said it used to be a thing over there, restaurants secretly dosing food with marijuana, as it’d engender munchies and euphoria.

ETA:

4 Likes

As someone who’s been sober for 36 years if this was something intentional by anyone it ain’t right.

10 Likes

Scribbles notes: Secret of Siam = THC

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s the first rule of enjoying psychedelics: thou shalt not dose thy fellow person without their consent or knowledge. Very uncool.

8 Likes

Your periodic reminder of why capitalism has to be regulated. In libertarian dreamland, you couldn’t trust a single thing you ate.

12 Likes

As someone whose soberness is usually measured in days or hours, it still ain’t right.

10 Likes

A properly hot Thai dish should create an altered state of consciousness just from the chilies…

(I’m kind of wondering if it wasn’t just some unintentional contamination with something really bad - like cleaning agent - rather than THC, though… Seems more likely, in the absence of any actual evidence pointing to THC.)

2 Likes

I’m guessing someone confused the butter with someones secret stash of cannabutter. Lol

1 Like

“This Just In: a bunch of white people in Isolated Desert, Nevada eat standard Asian-spiced level of Asian food for the first time and freak the hell out. Updates at 11.”
/s

Sounds like they were using Szechuan peppercorns (hua jiao), most notable for causing a “numbing” sensation instead of the typical burning sensation that comes from the chili peppers we’re more familiar with. In the US, it’s not a common spice outside of Los Angeles/San Diego (or Vancouver in Canada) since the largest Asian populations reside there. Personally, I equate the sensation to eating burning novacaine.

The numbness and tingling are standard for the Szechuan peppercorn; whereas the increased heart rate, disorientation, blurred vision, ‘hallucinations’, and ‘loss of consciousness’ are all pretty standard from an anxiety attack wherein a person who thinks they’ve been drugged after consuming something they don’t understand would start freaking out and letting their brains go into full over-thinking freak-out mode (i.e. letting their anxiety get the better of them).

As for the alleged THC, there are some sources on the interwebs that claim the peppercorns contain small amounts of THC, nothing official however. If true, though, well, then there you go.

8 Likes

Huh. Usually you get charged extra for that.

/Vegas

1 Like

It’s appropriate in some way, that something questionable practiced in Thailand has been reproduced in Las Vegas.

1 Like