Cute fruit bats featured on new 2020 quarter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/01/07/cute-fruit-bats-featured-on-ne.html

13 Likes

Good idea for spreading awareness. I forgot there were even parts of the United States that even had those cuties!

18 Likes

Aw, that’s great…

Now give us Harriet Tubman on the $20, dammit.

36 Likes

When I flip it and call ”heads or tails?” now is it the side that has more than one head or the side that has heads that though not shown, tails?
I may be over thinking this.

21 Likes

I’m waiting for the “christians” set up a howl about this arrangement with the devil.

Bats are cute.

5 Likes

Those will look adorable in the cup holder of my car until it gets full enough for someone to come along and steal them.

2 Likes

I am so going to the bank to get rolls of these. Every f-ing quarter I use for the rest of my life should have bats on it.

10 Likes

16 Likes

Yeah. I was, like “WTF? You can push out a fruit bat quarter, but the Tubman Twenty (for which the engraving plates are already complete) is still nowhere to be seen?”

At least I have my tubmanstamp.com to make my own.

5 Likes

The current POTUS apparently doesn’t have a personal vendetta against fruit bats.

3 Likes

25 Likes

It’s great that they’re recognizing the bats on their coins. Next, it would be fun if they could make American Samoans citizens and give them full voting rights.

7 Likes

No bats, but we’ve got lyrebirds, echidna, kangaroos, emu and platypus on ours:

Plus Jim:

7 Likes

You are not supposed to think too much about the fact that USA still has a colonial empire in the Pacific.

5 Likes

“Bats or white dead guy…bats, darn you win.”

4 Likes

I love how the engraving really captures that moment when Fruitbat wrestled Phillip Schofield to the stage at the Smash Hits Music Awards. The artist has really captured Schofield’s startled expression.

Fruitcute

1 Like

What makes me even happier than the bats (which are great!) is that it uses the REAL motto of the USA “E Pluribus Unum” - “From Many, One.”

2 Likes

What, that they are recognizing American Samoa, or that they are putting this on their currency:

Bonus points for Stephanie Trick BTW.

2 Likes

Okay, I feel dumb. I know that Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands are populated American territories. But why didn’t I know about American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands?