Cute little food delivery robot crushed under the wheels of a locomotive (video)

ALL HAIL THE GREAT BASILISK!

3 Likes

I can’t quite place why I dislike these things so much. If I was born into a world where they were common would I not have these feelings? Am I just the modern equivalent of a horse guy mad at horseless vehicles in 1900 or something?

2 Likes

there’s something in the rules for emergency vehicles… however…

1 Like

Too late.

2 Likes

Don’t give them ideas.

3 Likes

Mobile BBQ.
I might steal that idea.
Move over, Elon!

I can only assume that little food delivery bots will be the phytoplankton of the emerging machine ecosystem; numerous, nutritious, and devoured in quantity to support larger and more aggressive robots.

2 Likes

So are these autonomous, or remotely human controlled via FPV? There are conflicting reports in this very thread.

Either way, I hope they modify something in response to this. People do not take train safety seriously enough, in general. Remember kids, they weigh more than your brain can grok (humans are very bad at large numbers), they’re closer than you think, moving faster than you think (our eyes play tricks on us when looking down-track), and physically cannot stop without a mile or so of planning ahead. They are not like cars.

2 Likes

Cars are also faster, closer and take more time to stop than most people, even drivers, realize. Every time I read about someone saying they didn’t know how big, fast and close the train was I am astonished.

2 Likes

Is it because they’re only pretending to be skaters, or because ones owned by old souls who only want tea and crumpets a little heavier on 9th and Ventura are Your Bots, and/or that you’re a {train engine name here}? Like, it should get -everyone’s- orders as it goes past? Have a proud chest or service hat of some kind on that flat top if it’s not going to offer cordials?

1 Like

Maybe one that has some delivery theater lighting and mulches old paper clamshells on the median on the way back…

2 Likes

They are taking jobs away from human beings. That doesn’t bother you? I want every business owner to know that good people won’t stand for self-checkouts and this robo delivery shit. Might not be my food, but acceptance is what allows these things to happen.

Don’t accept.

South Park Jobs GIF

You mean the unsustainable ones for services like DoorDash and Uber Eats, that are just a market trick to build monopoly before the bait-and-switch to automation?

But the current reality is that no one is really taking those jobs when there are so many better options - ones with consistent hours and health insurance. In a full employment economy, these robots aren’t taking jobs from humans.

1 Like

They are autonomous with remote control backup if they get stuck or lost.

And that’s what happened in this incident: the robot got stuck on the tracks and the human backup couldn’t get it unstuck on time.

2 Likes

I bet the final footage on that 360 camera was damned exciting.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.