Cute Wonder Woman lunchbox banned from school for being too violent

I guess they will have to ban any teachings American History too.

13 Likes

You donā€™t suppose this could be an elaborate hoax in order to demonstrate that, yet again, political correctness has gone too far? That letter has a whiff of bullshit to me, and could easily be a fake.

5 Likes

More information needed:

Public school or private?

If public: this is some lame bullshit and administration should get taken to task for it.

If private: YOU (dear parent) chose to send your kid there. Take it or leave it.

4 Likes

Possibly, but when kids are suspended for having a toy gun from an action figure in their pocket, I would totally believe this.

6 Likes

Picturing a dress code involving shapeless gray burlap overalls, with no pockets that might be used to conceal weapons, unsanctioned candy, or copies of HOWL.

17 Likes

Likely it is the terrible parents that forced the school-board to make these changes in the first place.

3 Likes

I have run into this policy before at the Waldorf school where my son attends a few weeks of summer camp each year. My reaction is, why go halfway? Additionally ban all images and logos related to manufacturers that profit from sweatshops and unsustainable consumerism. Itā€™s not ok to let your kid go to school with a Batman shirt, but it is ok to dress him in a $40 Patagonia or Ambercrombie shirt with the logo telling everyone what cool parents you are. I think the early indoctrination of these values is more anti-social than the supposed idea that kids will learn to solve problems through violence by playing with obviously pretend superhero products. Give them a break! They know itā€™s pretend! Not to mention that itā€™s normal and healthy for kids to engage in play-fighting and play-violence. It gives them a safe context to work through the very scary concepts of war, murder, severe injury, etc.

18 Likes

If only some superhero could solve this problem in the proper superheroic way.

6 Likes

What about a superhero who solves problems in a non violent way - GHANDIMAN
What if little Fauntleroy shows up with an Einstein T shirt - father of the A bomb?
Oh, oh oh what about 3 Stooges?

5 Likes

Cripes, thereā€™s a lot of caterwauling here. Did you read the note? ā€œSuperheroes solve problems with violence. No superhero imagery, please.ā€

How are you people on the 'yay violent heroes for kids" bandwagon?

2 Likes

Youā€™re hardly going to get anywhere by engaging in talks with the supervillians.
Bash 'em all.

6 Likes

Because that is a complete oversimplification of what a super hero is.

10 Likes

Finally, a school that meets my sensibilitiesā€¦

19 Likes

They use violence to stop others from doing worse violence. While there are violent anti-heroes like the Punisher that lives in a moral grey area, Wonder Woman and most of the costumed heroes (in most stories) are defending the weak and helpless against those that would hurt, kill, or enslave them.

Of course we are also talking about FANTASY CHARACTERS and not real people.

10 Likes

Umā€¦ the letter explains itā€¦ itā€™s not the boots or the rope. Itā€™s the fact sheā€™s a superhero who uses violence to solve problems. Stupid thing to get upset about yes.

3 Likes

Well no, weā€™re talking about real students and school staff, whoā€™ve decided to ban the class of images that includes Deadpool and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac. How much time do you want them to take researching the background of every superhero lunchbox character?

1 Like

Heck no! Captain Planet is about as violent as they get. Donā€™t believe me?

4 Likes

The lunchbox was created around the live action television series. Girls would have wonder woman and boys would have the Six Million Dollar Man. For what itā€™s worth from Wikipedia: ā€œThe series began at a time when violence on television was under intense scrutiny. As a result, Wonder Woman was less frequently seen punching or kicking people the way she did in the early episodes. She would usually be shown pushing and throwing enemies or using creativity to get them to somehow knock themselves out (such as jumping high into the air to cause pursuers to collide). Despite the wartime setting, she almost never resorted to deadly force. The only exception occurs in the pilot episode when she sinks a German U-boat by crashing an airplane into it, presumably killing everyone aboard.ā€ Anti-violence policies are always set aside for killing Nazis.

Side note: the Wiki goes on to say ā€œWonder Woman herself was occasionally overpowered by chloroform and poison gas, but she always came back in the second half of the show to save the day.ā€

Did Bill Cosby guest star as a bad guy?

4 Likes

The Stooges clearly are ok under these rules. Did you ever see them solve any problems, with or without violence?

29 Likes

They make Johnny the Homicidal Maniac lunchboxes?

Really - zero tolerance = zero brain power being used. It is ridiculous to not take context into something like this.

It would be one thing if there was violence being depicted, but pretty much any character in any story will have to us violence at some point. My Little Pony, Power Puff Girls, Star Wars, Batman, Spider-man, Superman, Legos based on those characters, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, CS Lewis Narnia books, Doctor Who, the Minions, Bugs Bunny, Mickey Mouse, The Muppets, and on and on and on. Pretty any character ever has used violence at some point. Some of it for comical affect, some of it light hearted, and some of it not. Heck my nephew loves Darth Vader - evil sith lord. Guess he canā€™t wear his shirt at school.

What about like football teams and players? That is a violent sport. Guess ban those too. Sports in general get out of hand from time to time.

Itā€™s just ridiculous. Especially something as nonviolent as that lunch box. It was two poses, no violence depicted.

10 Likes