Cyberpocalypse: the cyberpunk Lego city

[Permalink]

That is possibly the most glorious thing I have ever seen made out of little plastic bits.

It draws mostly from Ghost in the Shell, methinks. (Not that there's anything remotely wrong with that, but whoever did the writeup seems unfamiliar with it.)

Complete with neon signs in Hiragana, because in the future of 1985, Japan will rule the world.

The topmost sign says "肉", meaning "meat", while the bottom one says "女の子", meaning "girls". I like the whole thing but I think that's my favourite thing about it.

Reminds me of Bladerunner or one of William Gibson's novels...

They've cited Blade Runner and Akira as well as Kowloon Walled City, but not GitS afaik. Although you're quite right that some GitS locales (also those in SAC) were cyberpunky run-down bricolage type places.

I don't get the "Burning Man" vibe from this at all, incidentally.

Yeah, "Ghost in the Shell" came out well after the cyberpunk "look" was established by things like "Blade Runner" -- there wasn't much original about it. I think the "Burning Man" reference is just because it is using EL Wire, which is popular there. Although obviously in this case it is supposed to represent neon signs.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.