Cyberpunk 2077 characters "can’t get their penises to stop poking through their pants"

Genitalia selection is part of character creation and there is sexual content in the game. I kind of hate finding myself in the position of defending this particular game, but it’s not like someone spent their spare time gluing penises on Ken dolls and hoping nobody would notice. This stuff was meant to be seen by players, just not in this particular context. That’s the bug, not the fact that there’s even junk to begin with.

4 Likes

Ok, you missed my entire point there, which was the game had many influences, but the cyberpunk genre ironically wasn’t actually a significant one - and contrary to the assertion that it was a mash-up of Ghost in the Shell and Neuromancer, Gibson wasn’t even an influence (and actually GitS wasn’t either, come to think of it).

I just realized that GitS actually started after the Cyberpunk game. It was earlier Shirow work that was the influence - Black Magic, Appleseed - stories about androids and mecha-style full-body cyborgs that came from a different sci-fi tradition and weren’t cyberpunk at all, really. It ended up accidentally being something like a GitS game by mashing up Appleseed and Walter Jon Williams. (For all I know, Shirow saw the game and thought, “This gives me an idea…”)

Ken/Barbie is also an option, along with boxer briefs. You can also turn nipples off.

2 Likes

This sentence is begging to be introduced out of context in one of my future conversations.

9 Likes

Why? It’s not causing data loss or server instability AND it’s got more people talking about the game.

1 Like

There’s a song in there somewhere

1 Like

Designer Rick Owens was just ahead of his time.

3 Likes

The writer himself said it was blade runner without the replicants…

3 Likes

Well, Blade Runner was a pretty obvious influence, but manga and anime were probably a bigger part, given the result, and introduced elements that were pretty alien to cyberpunk as a literary genre. It really has a pretty cinematic lineage: Blade Runner, but also The Terminator, The Warriors, the Mad Max movies (!), a whole bunch of manga/anime including Akira, Appleseed, Black Magic M-66, Bubblegum Crisis, Megazone 23, and tv shows like Max Headroom, Miami Vice and mid-'80s MTV.

It’s funny to see Pondsmith’s version of “cyberpunk” being described as “vital” because to me it feels incredibly, incredibly retro, the influences make it totally '80s (and in some ways a backwards-looking '80s at that).

1 Like

Only two (circumcised and uncircumcised), with a size slider.

3 Likes

Well, the whole picture IS pretty punk, I guess. :man_shrugging:

Rock out wit ya cock out? :metal:

4 Likes

I suspect “== True” is redundant

1 Like

To flesh this out a little further (no pun intended, but pun gladly accepted), it sounds like this is specifically happening when players swap equipment, which means it’s probably some kind of lag in molding the clothing to the customized dimensions of the avatar. Most of this stuff works on morph targets, which just define a range of places where each vertex of a mesh can be placed, so I’m betting it just loads the base mesh configuration and then has some kind of issue applying the offsets in time (or possibly at all? I’m still not 100% clear on the duration of the bug when it happens).

Video games are hell, hehe.

1 Like

ezgif.com-gif-maker

4 Likes

I dispute your assertion that Max Headroom wasn’t cyberpunk.

Media hacking, corporate controlled media, humans living in cyberspace. Sounds pretty cyberpunk to me.

5 Likes

Oh, I consider it cyberpunk - it was one of the few actual cyberpunk influences on the game, in fact.

3 Likes

And what about that story, what was it now…

Main character has a cybernetic arm, best buddy is an AI, falls in love with someone who worked as a host mom. Frees Luna, which is Bowie glitter and body paint, polyandry and a whole lot of unspoken homosexuality. Strangely missing any organized crime through libertarian plot armor.

Heh. Yah, nope, but it would be interesting to see it rewritten as cyberpunk.

Which story? The one in Cyberpunk 2020, which I’ve forgotten, or the story of the 2077?

The new game takes its cues about what constitutes “cyberpunk” from the p&p rpg which had more second-order cyberpunk influences than direct ones. Which makes the current game several layers removed from actually being influenced by the cyberpunk genre, with pretty weird results.

I believe @RickMycroft is making a joke about “The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress”

1 Like

Ah, I’ve completely avoided Heinlein, so I wasn’t getting the reference and was having difficulty parsing the description. I think the rpg managed to not have Heinlein as an inspiration, though it was probably a close call…