Czech priest apologizes after smashing pumpkins

Originally published at: Czech priest apologizes after smashing pumpkins | Boing Boing

4 Likes

As always, the priesthood of any religion serves as a career opportunity for dour killjoys.

11 Likes

Christian groups through the years have routinely attempted to demonize and denigrate the observance, in part by repeating the erroneous claim that Sam Hain was the Celtic god of the dead and Halloween his feast. This error comes from the 18th-century British engineer Charles Vallancey, who wrote on the Samhain festival with a poor understanding of the culture and language, and has been repeated uncritically since. It was actually the Church itself, however, which preserved the Samhain tradition in the West by Christianizing it in the 9th century, setting the course for a pagan Northern European religious tradition’s transformation into a worldwide secular holiday which has become the most popular – and commercially lucrative – of the year, second only to Christmas.

Oooh, turnip lantern. :+1:

13 Likes

Where was his mind?

7 Likes

Great Pumpkin Halloween GIF

9 Likes

“It seems that, despite all his rage, he was still just a Czech who misgauged.”

sam elliott the big lebwoski GIF

12 Likes

So he was onstage after Billy Corgan?

12 Likes

Understand Captain America GIF

5 Likes

Now he needs to apologize for stealing my Smashing Pumpkins concert T-shirt from the University of Florida’s Norman Field back in the 90s while I was exercising. :angry:

Okay, maybe it wasn’t him. /s

6 Likes

Apologies are nice… but understanding should follow. (Or will he start smashing Christian images next?)

9 Likes

Are pixies also pagan?

7 Likes

They aren’t quite as enthusiastic as Eastern Orthodox; but it would be a bit of a surprise to see much iconoclasm from someone doing peevish reactionary Catholicism.

6 Likes

Perhaps his confessor suggested ‘pumpkin smashing’ as acts of contrition. :wink:

4 Likes

Oh, do you not know how those work? The pagans were already yearning for Christ, so they ended up making a bunch of things that prefigured him.

6 Likes

whatareyoureallyafraidof

12 Likes

Smashing pumpkins is the name of my… wait…What?

Really?

Dang!

5 Likes

L.A. Story:
A young Sarah Jessica Parker:
“Do you like Smashing Pumpkins?”
Steve Martin: (trying to find something to talk about with a younger woman)
“Oh I love doing that!”

4 Likes

I mean, Corgan is a d*ck.

1 Like

Frank Matano Reaction GIF by Italia's Got Talent

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.