Da Musicz

More new St. Vincent!

4 Likes

I’m very excited for Friday! Listening to Flea, I feel like the new album might be closer kin to MASSEDUCTION than Daddy’s Home, and I’m here for it. Whatever it is, it’s going to be great.

3 Likes

Yeah, Flea is a banger!

2 Likes
5 Likes

I may buy a physical album for the first time in years. Where does one buy such things these days?

1 Like

Bandcamp, artists own website shop, merch stand on tour, or an actual real record shop if you live in an urban area.

She doesn’t have vinyl on her Bandcamp right now.

2 Likes

Oh I wouldn’t buy vinyl. I wouldn’t have any way to play it. Hell, I’m not sure I have any way to play a CD, now that I think about it. Wow, the world has changed and I have gotten old.

3 Likes

I have no way to play CDs but I always knew my vinyl would outlast my CDs.

I was in London the other week and went to some record shops looking to bring home a William Onyeabor record as a treat for my wife but unfortunately the only one I saw was a £120 box set which is… not what I was looking for.

He is on Bandcamp though:

Including records.

3 Likes

HELL YEAH WILLIAM ONYEABOR!

I’m so glad to see another fan in the wild.

1 Like

Can I recommend Rough Trade?

3 Likes

Norman is good too. I was in Covent Garden and Camden Town shopping with my daughter and I assumed I would have my pick of shops to get a copy. And for my hosts who are both fans.

TBH I’m sure I could get one at the weekend in Dublin it’s just that I was looking to buy presents.

2 Likes

There used to be a Rough Trade in Covent Garden but it is long gone. I haven’t been round Camden properly for years, I used to help out at a book stall at weekends.

2 Likes

Does your town have a small record shop? In whatever hip part of town might exist?

3 Likes

It used to break my heart when I went in your shop
And you said my records were out of stock
So I don’t buy records in your shop
Now I tape them all 'cause I’m ‘Top Of The Pops’

Yeah, now I got a new way to move
It’s shiny and black and don’t need a groove
Now I don’t need no album rack
I carry my collection over my back

4 Likes

I think the median age in my town is pushing 60. The only “hip” stores here are medical supply stores.

7 Likes

I don’t know, you might be surprised… Gen Xers love music, after all!

2 Likes

They probably carry the new Neil Young and Crazy Horse album, at least!
(Fu##in’ Up: also released today, I think, it’s a re-release/re-imagination of Ragged Glory, and it’s pretty great)

1 Like
2 Likes

Wow, an actual physical CD. Now…how tf am I going to play this?

ETA: Whoa, they actually still put the lyrics in the jewel case booklet!

9 Likes

I was slagging off the Dead (via Phish) over on another thread and someone put up something on Garcia’s bluegrass stuff and it reminded me that those guys were extraordinary musicians with a lot more strings to their bow than the Dead which was something of an albatross. Here’s Micky Hart the drummer and part of his soundtrack to Apocalypse Now.

5 Likes