Da Musicz

There was a terrific book about Dublin subcultures published about 10 years ago.

I think if @Mindysan33 could find a copy, you’d really dig it.

This is a shot from the book with my buddy Noel front and centre at a courier thing around 1990 or so…

Mercenary Garage Motorcyle Custom Workshop Dublin Couriers Charity Run Noel Feeney Where Were You

44008925.UY500_SS500

3 Likes

I’m not particularly well versed in Irish accents! Thanks!

Awesome! Thanks, I’ll try and dig it up! It’s very relevant to my current interests!

3 Likes

At least they’re real accents

3 Likes

What about bad American accents…

peri-tada|nullxnull

5 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes

Kate Bush’s daughter?

4 Likes

KateBush

Its uncanny!

3 Likes

Love

1 Like

They got it right with Living Colour over 30 years ago. Is this one step forward, two steps back?

3 Likes

I think that depends on whether the article is on a real nomination of a real band, or if it’s instead an Onion-like satire on white supremacy in the music biz. The article reads more like the latter to me. (And I suppose that in the time it took me to write that, I could’ve Googled the band to find out.)

1 Like

Or scrolled down to the comments. It’s “satire.”

1 Like
3 Likes

Wow, thanks, never heard of them. I especially hear the influence on Pizzicato 5, but also on Beck.

2 Likes

An interview with Michael Stipe and Laurie Anderson!

3 Likes
2 Likes

Thank you. I never heard of this Mr. Jones project, but now I’ve been listening to their albums a lot.

1 Like

Love the Free Design. I got lovely 10” pastel coloured record reissues in Barcelona maybe 20yrs ago. Heard this the other week and it really made me think of the Free Design.

1 Like

I “discovered” them through a Spotfy playlist of songs that in one way or another appeared on an American TV show. It’s not the same thing, but it made the same impression when I first heard Mutantes. While there is that zeitgeist from the 1960s, they still sound modern and fresh.

Thanks for the tip. I will check these guys too.

1 Like

Well everyone was listening to Brazilian music back in the 6Ts!

I love this version, I first heard it on a Gilles Peterson comp of Brazilian music I got back in the 9Ts. So I have to put this here:

And this, this song heralds summer in our house. The first warm sunny Saturday and this gets blasted out

2 Likes