Da Musicz

Not as many as for this.

Who better to cover “911 is a joke” than the house band of Thatcherite Britain?

3 Likes

This is enjoyably weird…

1 Like

As I was driving around today, running late, detoured off two main roads, and lost in a series of similar looking neighborhoods, a lyric from this song kept popping into my head:

No day so wrong that you can’t find your way.

Eventually, I did just that.

5 Likes

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie did not chart in the United States, despite receiving airplay in several markets. It has sold over 18 million copies worldwide, making it the best-selling single of all-time by a female group.

And some nationalism :finland:

3 Likes

THE WHITE ROOM – Director’s Cut by The KLF was released on the 23rd of April 2021.

THE WHITE ROOM – Director’s Cut by The KLF is not The White Room album that was released globally by The KLF in various formats with various track listings in 1991. Nor was it a version of the same album not completed or released in 1989.

THE WHITE ROOM – Director’s Cut by The KLF is a version of The White Room that was completed but not released in 1990.

THE WHITE ROOM – Director’s Cut by The KLF was constructed in various recording studios by The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu, between early 1989 and sometime in 1990.

2 Likes

I’ve always admired the KLF and their various antics and I really dig the work Jim Cauty does with the scale models - IMO, much more interesting than Banksy.

But I’m curious and a little disappointed about their lack of new material. It’s been 30 years and Dog knows the world could use some direction.

Edit: The new White Room is still nice though.

3 Likes
7 Likes

I recall reading an article a few years back that someone’s musical taste was heavily influenced by the music around them at age 14. It wasn’t this article from the Verge, I think it was probably earlier than 2018.

It seemed legit and might be the kernel of truth behind that Daily Mash article.

Good grief, the 90’s were not a nadir in music excellence. Yes, some good, enduring stuff came in that decade, but so did tons of dreck, just like any other decade. And if you stopped listening to new music in 1996, you’ve missed a whole lot of good stuff.

So says this late 40’s person, anyway.

@Mercenary_Garage: Late 40’s means you were 14 in the mid 80’s. This Mash article is highlighting the end of one’s time at university as the point at which new music isn’t accepted anymore.

1 Like

For a band that left the music industry in 1992 they published a lot of music since.

I think this might be latest.

1 Like

That track may strictly speaking be new, but it’s also riffing on the original releases.

Insofar as I’ve ever had heroes, Bill Drummond and Jim Cauty were that (also Joe Strummer) and I was awestruck by their visuals, their weirdness and their outrageousness. I couldn’t get enough of them in the '90s. They were heavily influential in my own… thing. (I’m stopping short of calling it work. Dunno why).

I understand that artists often spend a lifetime exploring one thing and becoming more expert and nuanced in that thing. I just really, really wanted them to do something new and groundbreaking.

@IronEdithKidd , you’re absolutely right. I misread the ‘late’ 40s in that article.

1 Like

This is a pretty good example someone spending a whole life exploring one thing until they get supremely good at it.

I think AC/DC. ZZ Top and the Cramps did this too.

1 Like

That’s extremely KLF thing to do. Lyrics from Track 1 “Hey Hey We Are Not The Monkees (100 BPM)” of their first album “1987 (What the Fuck Is Going On?”:

We’re justified and we’re ancient
And we like to roam the land
We’re justified and we’re ancient
I hope you understand
We don’t want to upset the apple cart
And we don’t want to cause any harm
But if you don’t like what we’re gonna do
You better not stop us 'cause we’re coming through

Their most popular song on Spotify Justified and Ancient (1991)

They’re justified, and they’re ancient
And they like to roam the land
(Just roll it from the top)
They’re justified, and they’re ancient
I hope you understand
(To the bridge, to the bridge, to the bridge now)
They called me up in Tennessee
They said “Tammy, stand by the jams”
But if you don’t like what they’re going to do
You better not stop them 'cause they’re coming through
(Bring the beat back)

A lot of Come Down Dawn isn’t Chill Out.

3 Likes

12 Likes
2 Likes

Matt Berry being Matt Berry.

6 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes
7 Likes
4 Likes