Da Musicz

That doesn’t sound like Adam West.

That sample is from:

4 Likes

Something from Suburban Lawns that is quite different from Gidget Goes to Hell and Janitor, but equally awesome:

2 Likes
5 Likes

Some great lines in that piece. I could feel the eyerolls from here.

3 Likes
3 Likes

All hail Clyde Stubblefield!

6 Likes
2 Likes

Pizzicato Five!

9 Likes

How many white lines did they need to think this was a good idea?

4 Likes
2 Likes

Ruby!

3 Likes

“Pizzicato mania!”

Thanks for bringing them back to mind, they were fun.

! :grin:

4 Likes

Tinymeat?

https://dangerousminds.net/comments/princess_tinymeat_meet_the_obscure_genderbending_trashglam_post-punk_goth_o

3 Likes

Got something in my eye…

1 Like

Thanks for posting that track.

I used to hear it on Dublin’s alternative radio station Phantom FM but I never knew what it was called or who performed it and I could never figure out from what era it came.

Seeing the video for the first time I couldn’t quite figure out when it was from either. Was it vintage '60s? Or retro noughties?

So I googled it and learned it was released in 1991. Which puts it right in the first wave of Japanese Retro, alongside the Kawasaki Zephyr and the Nissan Figaro. Which makes me feel enormously smug with myself even though I had to google it.

These days I take the wins where I can get them.

1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes

Meh…

As a b̶o̶r̶i̶n̶g̶l̶y̶ ̶c̶i̶s̶-̶g̶e̶n̶d̶e̶r̶e̶d̶ ̶s̶t̶r̶a̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶m̶i̶d̶d̶l̶e̶-a̶g̶e̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶i̶t̶e̶ ̶m̶a̶l̶e̶,* quietly anti-establishment polite punk rocker, I like them.

I wouldn’t describe them as ‘man hating’ at all which I thought might be the the problem reading the article. And I don’t think they are contributing to the fake-infodemic any more than the Monkees or One Direction do/did so that’s good too.

I think their lyrics are on point and they appear to be competent players and singers (who don’t seem to need all that autotune so I guess that’s a stylistic thing all the cool kids are doing nowadays or something). Are they derivative? Yeah, but so is everything. Are they contrived? Probably. Does that matter? Nope, not at all. Do they empower young women to expect better treatment from young men? Here’s hoping…

I suspect all the controversy (on YouTube there appears to be more controversy than actual Tramp Stamps stuff) may just be a marketing stunt.

And now, here’s Avril Lavigne (the original one, not the robot replacement) with one of the most heartfelt and beautiful pop songs ever…

*Fuck that! It’s the internet, no one know’s you’re a dog.

4 Likes

2 Likes
5 Likes