Dachshund not entirely sure about these kangaroos

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/10/03/dachshund.html

4 Likes

It’s a weiner doggie!

Capture2

7 Likes

So the kangaroos that have tried to kill dogs in recent years are apparently another species than this? Because between the kangaroo that was trying to drown one dog and the roo trying to strangle that other one a different time, it sounds like some roos are just not dog people.

This dog is adorable. Those fluffy ears…

2 Likes

Those 'roos look kinda spooky. Like they’re up to something and whoa be the creature that discovered their plan.
I Say Release the Hound.

I know Roos are a semi protected species. But I’m getting the vibe they’re like Canada Geese in assholishness.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Ambivalence about kangaroos is justified.

The juxtaposition between the allegedly herbivorous sheeplike stare and the velociraptor-adjacent body plan is deeply unsettling.

25 Likes

What’s the evolutionary strategy/benefit in jumping on two legs to get about? I would imagine the energy cost is pretty high relative to four legged movement?

2 Likes

Dear anglophones,

Would you mind to get your ei/ie spelling checked wach time you write down a word or name of non-english origin?

Sincerely,
a whiner

PS: “Wiener” are nearly the same as “Frankfurter”*, and if you like call your dog sausage names you could call them “hot dog” to avoid spelling mistakes. You could also use the Germanophone term “Dackel” for the Dachshund, but be aware that a Wiener “Lackel” is something entirely different.

*Footnotes: I don’t want to get meatheads started on this - I know the difference between a Wiener and a Frankfurter, but as we say in German the difference is wurst in this context.

6 Likes

As ‘Skippy’ taught me, Roos are however invaluable for warning adults about children injured in the Outback.

4 Likes

As far as I remember, it is actually very efficient due to the tail momentum being used in rebounding the system. Also AFAIR, a big red in full speed can jump six meters at a time, and can do this for quite some time.

4 Likes

“Little Jimmy’s fallen down the well, eh, Skippy? That’s the third time this week. You sure you didn’t push him?”

11 Likes

It’s all about energy stored in the leg tendons - https://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/kangaroo-hopping1.htm has a good explanation.

4 Likes

This makes perfect sense. Dachshund, as you know, means badger hound, as they were bred to kill badgers.

Kangaroos are badgers. QED.

2 Likes

“wach” ? pot meet kettle

3 Likes

Tru dat. LOL, autocorrect. German/English spell checker and swiping gone awry. Each. I wanted to nitpick that each time…

K.
I’ll see myself out, shall I?

6 Likes

We’re not allowed to mention Mr Harris’ prior art any more in UK as it is now ars non grata given his being jailed for, well let’s just say ‘inappropriate behaviour’ (not quite as bad as Cosby and his druggings, perhaps, but certainly on a par - and he’ll also likely die in prison). It’s still a good recording, though.

3 Likes

Points for obscurity.

1 Like

Frankfurter hier.
Ich mag dich. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Also, great boxers…

boosh_kangaroo

5 Likes

Obscurity? I guess you’re not British (or Australian). There can hardly be a Brit over the age of 30 (and probably most under that age) who is not very familiar with this. The song was once a staple of the Saturday morning kids radio request show on BBC Radio, and Rolf Harris had a Saturday evening TV show for many years (a long time ago). The song is probably known by heart by most Australians, I’d hazard a guess.

(Still, I’ve no idea who Mister Rogers is, and always find those references obscure, so I guess turnabout is fair play.)

Also, search for Rolf Harris and “Jake The Peg” and “Two LIttle Boys”. Not in the same class as “Tie me Kangaroo Down” but tells you what his ‘genre’ was. And he was not a bad painter either - famous catchphrase when painting live on TV (giant canvas, decorating brushes) “can you tell what it is yet?”.

None of us could tell what he really was until he was arrested for sexual abuse.

1 Like