DALL-E is very good at designing stained glass windows

Originally published at: DALL-E is very good at designing stained glass windows | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Interesting, but it makes me hope they’ll keep similar tech away from CRISPR for a while. :pleading_face: I’m still recovering from Splice*!

4 Likes

Some of those are really beautiful. I’ve wanted to try making stained glass for a while ever since I saw Simone Giertz making some and being delighted by the process.

3 Likes

The stained-glass format takes the results back out of the Uncanny Valley

Photo-realistic Darwin-bird chimaeras would be the stuff of horror movies, especially if it was making little errors at the edges and getting the shadows wrong and stuff

5 Likes

Same here. I considered it for a home improvement project to replace a sidelite and improve privacy at the entry of my house. However, the challenges involved with materials and equipment led me to use stained glass paint instead. It was surprising that the results fooled people, but I still want to try the real deal someday.

5 Likes

The AI results look somewhat like stained glass , but practically speaking they are for the most part impossible and wonky and not very learned in their use of materials and techniques. I know this because I spent 25 years in the trade.

4 Likes

@GilbertWham is that you?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.