Dallas cop charged with manslaughter after killing neighbor in his apartment

This article originally stated they heard yelling. I wrote it up for my own blog. Now I have to go back and fix it because they rewrote that paragraph I quoted last Friday.

5 Likes

Castle doctrine and stand your ground laws do have some legitimate use. But that also means they are going to be misused. I don’t think any of that applies here.

There is not a bunch of information available to tell what happened in this situation. The only hypothetical scenario I can imagine where her actions might be defensible is if she went to the wrong door, but the occupant thought she was there to arrest him for prior misdeeds, and came out attacking her.

But I have not heard anything to support any such hypothesis. As for her yelling “Open up! Police!”, the only way that happens is if she forgot her key, expects a roommate or family member to be inside, and does it to be funny. I don’t know if that would be cop humor or not.

But either of those seem pretty unlikely. I did see some video of her pacing nervously after the shooting while waiting for police and ambulance. I did not get an “intoxicated” vibe.

It is pretty pathetic that law abiding people need to fear bodily harm, if police come to their door by accident.

1 Like

The story thus far illustrates two pretty compelling points.

First, no one should ever trust the initial reporting purporting to relay reports either from eye witnesses or officials. Just look at the wholly contradictory stories linked to in this comment thread: she tried her key and couldn’t get in, started shouting, and shot the guy when he opened the door; the door was unlocked and she walked right in where she was (supposedly) startled by the man and shot him. Who the hell knows how it actually went down at this point, but nobody should place any stock in what’s being reported yet.

Second, this shows what a gift the department gave this officer by not arresting or questioning her until she had a chance to get her preferred story straight, and several contradictory stories out there to confuse the issue for the public. At the end of this, hopefully it seems unlikely that it would be enough to save her ass, but goddamn.

4 Likes

Oh, so this is the story the cops worked up? It’s good; the plausible deniability is pretty much airtight. The door was unlocked, leading her to believe there was a break-in. She opens the door to a dark apartment (ergo, she could not recognize it as being someone else’s. Sees intruder, thinking it’s a burglar. Done. Jury, please acquit; it’s all just a “tragic mistake.”

2 Likes

Dead drunk at 10 in the morning.

Perhaps this illustrates why some children say that they want to be police.
Do they do that anymore?
Did they ever?

Happening all along. Just recently a cop actually got arrested (only because it was caught on camera) for shooting a romantic rival and then framing the guy as an attacker.

Yeah, people are amazing at filtering out what “shouldn’t” be there. Once she decided it was her apartment, especially if she heard an “intruder,” anything that didn’t fit that narrative would have been ignored - the reality would cease to matter. This easily happens when people are sober and alert, so it would absolutely happen if she were tired and/or intoxicated, but that wouldn’t be a necessary precondition. She still handled everything wrong, even under that false belief, though.

9 Likes

Cops are held to a lower standard than the actual military too, which is just ridiculous.

6 Likes

This is true. Military ROE can be more restrictive. Hell some our NATO allies won’t even send in evac choppers if the area is still hot.

1 Like

“Being Black In Your Own Home” is a new level of awfulness even for America.

18 Likes

This is America.

SMDH

18 Likes

https://twitter.com/TurdyMcFergy/status/1038557681320120320

(EDIT FOR CLARITY: Didn’t realize linking to this tweet would include the entire tweet. Mah Bad!)

8 Likes

I need to hang a placard on my door saying “Police Notice: This is not your apartment.”

4 Likes

Here’s hoping the prosecuting attorney isn’t completely in the PD’s pocket. This is damning as evidence of the officer’s character.

8 Likes

She’s a white cop. Her gender may put her at a disadvantage in this situation, but otherwise, in this country, she has a pass to kill almost anyone in almost any circumstance. I doubt that much will happen beyond a resignation, and she’ll have to move to a small Texas town to continue working.

6 Likes

Anyone got a source on that? I haven’t see that sign before for white power. Though there is a similar sign that is supposed to be a W and P. Course there are probably all sorts of weird shit different cliques come up with.

https://www.adl.org/education-and-resources/resource-knowledge-base/hate-symbols?keys=hand%20sign

1 Like

Yeah I wasn’t too sure of that myself. I could see someone mistaking it for the “Peckerwood” hand sign, but it might also be “PD” he’s attempting to sign.

But I have a hard time feeling sympathy for police even when I’m at my most mellow, and today has been a shitshow of a Monday.

Fuck these ass-clowns.

4 Likes

To a layman it looks like “Pd” to me. Not defending this person, I just want to make sure the facts are right. Misinformation is a disservice to everyone.

5 Likes

Anyone who opens the door to police without a warrant, now has only themselves to blame at this point. They’ve given citizens every reason not to cooperate, ever.

3 Likes

I’m reminded of a discussion I had with a pro-gun friend about deterring burglars. I contended that a barking dog is both more effective (since potential burglars know it’s there before entering my home) and more snuggly. He countered that you have a right to shoot an intruder and implied that maybe he does snuggle his guns. (I hope he unloads them first.) The bottom line seemed to be that I have no interest in harming anyone, even if they break into my house; he wanted payback for the hypothetical intrusion.

5 Likes

I’m confused, what possible bearing does her sobriety have on this incident? Does it mitigate her guilt? Does it make it worse? The guy is just as dead, no matter what her state.

Although, come to think of it, if she was drinking in uniform, it might make any vendor think twice before serving alcohol to someone in police livery.

1 Like