Dallas Police Chief Uses Twitter To Announce Disciplinary Actions

“I’m Firing You! And Telling the World Your Sins—on Twitter!”

In a sense, it’s an incredible story. While other police departments are using the web to shame–and even punish to a certain extent–the people they arrest, David O. Brown is using twitter to announce staff firings for Dallas. This may cross into shame and lumping on the punishment, but it’s also a great chance for their PD to prove they are taking action against bad cops.

Something which a lot of us feel is severely lacking.

Example taken from the article:

@DPDCHIEF:
I have terminated 911 Call Taker Moises Limon today for driving while under the influence and not reporting his arrest to his supervisor.

@DPDCHIEF:
Under Civil Service rules, Mr. Limon has a right to appeal his discipline.

1 Like

Easy for me to admire this guy – he’s not canning me in public, but I love the fact his profile picture looks so cheery as he’s announcing who is getting the axe and why…

ooooh wrath!

(Not meant as a reply to you, clicked the wrong thingy)

I thought this would be weird but it is presented so dispassionately and matter of fact that it doesn’t feel weird at all. Odd.

Presumably all this stuff is a matter of public record somewhere, just not usually on the Facebooks or Twitters?

1 Like

Because people in the area know that the police is not above the law. It is actual micro-news.

1 Like

Considering the rampant abuses perpetrated nation wide by police officers seems–more often than not–to result in paid vacation for the perpetrator, most people in the U.S. have grown rather fearful of the police. Combine this with the arbitrary law breaking we see by cops who are driving around with no particular place to be, and there’s a lot of anger built up.

This means no one with any sense trusts the police. A lack of trust for the police means that it’s harder for them to do their jobs … protecting the rest of us.

By demonstrating that actions of police officers have consequences for the police officers, David Brown has rolled back that distrust just a bit. If we as a country could trust that our police departments were on the up-and-up, Mr. Brown’s actions would make him just another Joe Shapiro. Instead, they set a tone for his whole police department and make it possible for their department to have a better relationship with their community.

Do you have any statistics or citations to back that up? I find it… implausible.

That said, transparency is always good with police, no question.

Well, perhaps I should rephrase. Certainly most everyone I know is afraid of police and it’s a thing for African American parents to have “the talk” with their sons. Where “the talk” isn’t birds and bees but how to avoid being killed by cops. I’ve heard anecdotal evidence that it other POC have the same talk with their kids.

Citation from LeVar Burton no less (you can stop at about 1:30 where Tim Wise starts talking):

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 1137 days. New replies are no longer allowed.