Danger! Danger!

My dad now lives in what is called the “Snow Belt of Indiana”: northern Indiana is at the southern tip of Lake Michigan, so it gets some extreme weather year-round. I grew up driving to and from Minnesota via Wisconsin multiple times every winter and have been one of the last or even THE last car on the highway before state troopers closed it due to snow storms. I’m no stranger to driving in the stuff, but it was not until I had to drive in the Snow Belt that I learned the life-saving trick of using the hazard lights. You can always see when someone finally gets it on those roads: they’ll be driving along, the only car/truck without the hazards flashing, until the light bulb goes off in their head (hah!) and they realize that they’re NOTICING the cars with the hazards on…and their hazards go on too.

7 Likes

Michigan City, Indiana is the only place I’ve ever been caught in a white-out so bad that you couldn’t see a semi with hazards flashing when it was 15 feet in front of your vehicle. That snow squall didn’t even have the courtesy of producing some purple lightening.

4 Likes

My honest-to-god immediate reaction to this info was: holy shit!

2 Likes

Yup. That pretty much describes driving in winter in that area of the country.

I’ve driven all over New England in winter too. Yes, it’s bad, but there’s something about the micro-climate in northern Indiana that just takes things to the next level.

3 Likes

I saw this sign in-person several times:

9 Likes

11 Likes

I only ever saw that warning sign as a label on my BVDs!

hey-oooo!

Soft mud seems like an oxymoron. It’s just “mud”, isn’t it? I mean, if it wasn’t soft, wouldn’t it be called something besides mud? Like “dirt clods” or something?

3 Likes

Ok, maybe not ‘tomorrow’… Busy week, for one this happened:

“Just a nudge.”

Nice dent in touch probe, but was able to realign it. Here are some warning signs.

And a better shot of, “Do not ride the chip conveyor.”

My friend (not the ‘nudge’-er) after we realized the spindle taper cleaner looks like the statue of liberty’s torch.

I don’t think he would have minded if I left the face, but I didn’t ask.

11 Likes

I just gotta say HOLY CRAP on this warning:

I don’t want to be anywhere near it.

4 Likes

Seems like a sign that shows you exactly what could go wrong could be pretty effective.

4 Likes

ZOMGWEREALLGONNADIE Aperture Labs is real.

11 Likes

This topic is awesome. That is all.

8 Likes

https://cdck-file-uploads-global.s3.dualstack.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/boingboing/original/3X/d/2/d27b59286a7de8ab4e15d6327ed8931928e1fb8e.jpg

This looks like when they pull a pea of red matter in Star Trek (2009)

2 Likes

Oh shit. I won. I didn’t think it was that good.

20 Likes

Scarier than the original (which is still fucking scary!)

And more “fun” from Oz:

12 Likes

Didn’t know about Australian Feral Camels.

Huh.

6 Likes

We have a long, chequered history of introducing species that go feral. Including humans. :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

The fire danger sign’s out of date now. In the wake of Black Saturday, the scale now goes up to ‘catastrophic’.

Edit: here ya go, newer one

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=australian+fire+danger+sign&tbm=isch&oq=australian+fire+danger+sign&gs_l=mobile-heirloom-serp.12...0.0.1.3472.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0…0…1c…34.mobile-heirloom-serp…15.26.6070.CboIOpJhWl4#mhpiv=1

3 Likes

Danger
Bull

oh yeah?!

8 Likes