"Danger tourist" who said Brooklyn was more dangerous than Afghanistan captured by Taliban in Afghanistan

I have to go to Downtown Brooklyn tomorrow for work, wearing a suit even.

My only thoughts about the neighborhood is “Has my favorite lunch spot been gentrified out of existence?”

12 Likes

Oh no!

Anyway…

12 Likes

My first glance was me reading “An Enchanted Modem” and I suppose I should go find my glasses…

11 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

Brooklyn, FFS? It’s one of the safest parts of the US. Perhaps to a Brit, it would seem dangerous (and compared to the UK, still is - even New Yorkers have got guns, after all), if he’d never been anywhere else in the US… but obviously his risk perception is completely broken, so if he’d been to other parts of the US, I’m guessing he was clueless about the danger he was in (for… reasons).

Is it better or worse than having Boris Johnson actively trying to get you killed while “helping,” though?

8 Likes

Cant See Scooby Doo GIF by moodman

9 Likes

“Danger tourist” is the latest manifestation of privilege by 20-something cishet white men. When you have nothing about you that would cause you to be imprisoned, beaten to death, or raped in most of the world, it’s pretty fucking easy to be brave.

Guess he finally stumbled into an area where even all that privilege isn’t quite enough.

20 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 Likes

DF

Dumb_ass_warning

If you only had a brain

11 Likes

PREVIOUSLY ON BOING BOING

7 Likes

I guess I’ll see you there then, Weds is my day to be in the downtown Brooklyn office too. We can exchange war stories…i.e. how crowded the Court street sidewalk can get at lunchtime once it’s nice out. “I’m walkin (to Sahadi) here!”

3 Likes

Love Sahadi. The only Middle East markets I know that come close to it in quality are in Staten Island and Elizabeth NJ.

I always forget which day they do the farmers market in front of the Supreme Court. I don’t get down there as often as I used to. Prior to the pandemic, I would be at the Civil Court on Livingston street every 2-3 days. Now it’s mostly teleconference and I am down there maybe 1-2 times a month at best.

3 Likes

Tuesday is the farmers market, so I usually miss it. After 13 years in office I’m WFH most days since pandemmy, but go in on Wednesdays. I eat lunch out in front of the courthouse (where I served on a jury and married LadyGoose with reception* at Happy Days Diner, ofc) so if you’re around, shout “Hey Goose” and I might be aware enough to look up :slight_smile:

*bought our witness a pancake breakfast.

3 Likes

“Danger tourist”

I read that as a warning: DANGER: STUPID TOURIST

His baggage of privilege may even work against him this time.

5 Likes

Last time I was in Williamsburg, it seemed to have been gentrified and populated with trust-fund babies who couldn’t find lodgings in Manhattan, and many, many musicians. Looked harmlessly active to me.

3 Likes

I was in Williamsboig for a week to see my BF in the 90s. I loved pretty much everything about it, other than the ahem ranks of trash cans & bags of garbage accumulating in higher & higher piles on the sidewalks, waiting for trash day.

Hit a brand new Chinese/Asian restaurant for dinner the 1st night, w/appetizers, an entree each w/soup & egg roll, a couple pots of Oolong tea (how rare!), for less than $20! Amazing. We musta passed 30 other fascinating-sounding ethnic restaurants as we walked there, and it wasn’t far!

Got a great $30 haircut at a salon two doors away from my BF’s place, too.

I heartily regret not demanding my Suthun Coliforniyahn BF take me to the Argentine restaurant we frequently passed :frowning: It was in Montclair, I think.
tophat-shrug

5 Likes

A race to the bottom.

5 Likes

Is this guy related to Donald Trump? They seem to think alike.

DJT trusted Putn, Orbin and Kim Jong-un over the NSA, CIA and NRO. DTR trusted the Taliban over the FCDO.

2 Likes

Idiots like this don’t learn unless the lesson is a hard one. His admirers and followers might think twice about doing their own misery tourism if it takes a while to get him out.

3 Likes

How ridiculous of anyone to compare the US to Afghanistan. After all, in Afghanistan, abortion is legal (in some cases), and guns are well regulated.
I suppose there’s not much to choose between the religious idiots in power though.

2 Likes

Somehow I doubt it. Almost certainly it’ll be used to drive his next self-promotion campaign on social media.

As a Brit - sorry you had to put up with him Brooklyn - he’s an arsebucklingly insufferable cockwomble.

5 Likes