Dangerous Dates: Fact, Fiction, or Documentary?

You literally just said I’m part of the problem and now you’re saying it is not about me?

You and I are obviously speaking about two different things.

I’m saying that this video (with 6.6M views) looks staged. The creator has 365.5K followers, good for her. Regardless of what happened, she will totally benefit from the views.

Looks staged TO ME.

That’s a funny question given that you started by assuming the worst of the woman here.

15 Likes

I’m glad to welcome you back after a year away from posting. A couple of points regarding the thread in which you now find yourself.

It’s helpful to read through a thread before responding. Your point had been raised and addressed near to the beginning. We all assume people have read through everything, and your reply might have looked like it was trying to reopen, in a blunt way, something that had already been addressed. Your initial reply seemed like a bad-faith reply to many here.

We all try to assume good faith, but the unfortunate reality is that someone who is a longtime regular poster has a “personality history” that gets taken into context when they post. For example, one of the Leaders dropping in and writing “This looks staged” is going to be taken much differently than a sometime regular writing it, and definitely differently from someone who is posting for the first time for a year. Posting history context is crucial.

I know that “read the room” is a tired phrase, but reading the room is helpful. There are a lot of ways to convey what you want to convey, and if you absolutely have to make the point you want to make, one of them might have been “Wow, this is such an incredibly common experience for innumerable women out there. It seems like she’s recorded this at a table. I wonder if it’s a true event, or if she was trying to convey a common experience by having a friend play the part of the ‘nice guy.’ Not that it matters–either way, this shit is awful.” You still might have had some 'splaining to do, but it would have helped.

Anyway, welcome back. Learning curves are as bendy as you make them.

19 Likes

I didn’t hear that. (and I viewed a lot of her videos because of your statement) They may have sounded similar, but what guy trying his “best sexy voice” doesn’t?

And so what?

Staged or not, and I believe probably not, this is something that happens every day, to most, if not all, women. When men learn to not learn from men, and learn to learn from women, then this type of video will, hopefully, disappear from our lives.

14 Likes

That’s a funny question given that you started by assuming the worst of the woman here.

Why would that be the worse? She is creating content. If it is scripted, good for her! If it is not scripted, I feel bad for her.

1 Like

I totally believe it. I know it does. Pretending it does not was not the point of my post. I hope for the creators sake that it was staged!

1 Like

Thank you. I read every day, don’t comment very often (as you have seen).

I guess what made me comment today was that I was hoping for the creator’s sake that this was staged. Not sure why people are assuming I meant this as a bad thing. Not sure why people are assuming I don’t believe this happens to women every day.

1 Like

That was far from clear from your first post here. If that’s what you meant, why didn’t you say that, instead of just posting that it’s staged, doubly so, since that’s already been discussed to death in this thread.

Again, I want to stress, that this is a very common occurrence for women who date men. And so is being gaslit about it happening, which is what people strolling in and saying “this looks staged” are often also doing. Whether you meant to or not, you helped to push that tired of line of men telling us that our experiences are invalid. Don’t do that. It does not remotely help, and only furthers belittles women, and dismisses our experiences.

19 Likes

Dunno, picking a fight with most of the women in a thread about misogyny is a pretty big fucking entrance for a dude who’s been away a while so at least you made today memorable, just like that woman’s shitty date.

17 Likes

You’re telling us you used the word “Fake?” as a positive thing? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

10 Likes

Kenan Thompson Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

10 Likes

If you spent more time clarifying your thoughts and less time pointing the finger at others and blaming all of them for misunderstanding you, I think you’d have a more enjoyable time engaging.

And the date is probably one of the most controlled situations we find ourselves in with this happening. Most guys have no idea that we women get flashed, masturbated at, approached and offered money for sex acts while we’re just living our lives. It’s fucking exhausting and leads to a constant low-level fear and sense of vigilance that most white men just won’t ever have to live with, unless they’re in a war zone.
A little empathy would go a lot further than blunt calls of it being fake.

17 Likes

Never meant to pick a fight.

Yeah; I don’t have any issue believing it because this kinds of shit happens all the time.

12 Likes

That dude is terrible and I have no doubt that there are lots guys like this out there. Incels are a thing.

But…This video is staged, right? Something about the video seems off. The sing song delivery. The fact that she is recording and he doesn’t seem to notice. Maybe I’m just jaded after a decade of social media exposure. Lol

Also adding…I’m not assuming this video was fake. I believe some percentage of what is fed to me on social media is either staged or embellished. Whether real or fake and why would someone fake it, these are questions I ask of every post I view that seems to tweak my emotions. The behavior of the guy here is off the charts terrible and it made me feel terrible for women who deal with this sort of thing.

Hi! Welcome to the thread. Read from the top?

11 Likes

13 Likes

So Tired of This Shit

17 Likes

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

13 Likes

Why? Unless you have proof otherwise…

It’s not wrong to want to understand or confirm the validity of the claim before jumping on the wagon with everyone