Danish dough whisk, fantastic kitchen tool

I use these whisks for just about every kind of baking mixing need. They’re great for batters, like waffle or brownie, too. Never used them with meat, just flour-based stuff. Cleanup isn’t that difficult.

Got one for Christmas 2011 and have been using it since. Works well but I am often worried that the metal to wood area is a bacteria trap… Well not that worried I guess as I use it all the time.

Well, this could be useful for those of us who don’t want to (or can’t justify the cost to) shell out the cash for a standing mixer. :slight_smile:

Don’t tell David Cameron.

1 Like

This is so cool. Gotta try this.

Ha, definitely, myself included! But if you already have one… :stuck_out_tongue:

IMO Croissants are more trouble than they’re worth unless you’re making an awful lot of them.

It’s one of the few products id always say ‘just buy it’ for. I you have a good pattiserie nearby you won’t be able to beat them on flavour, or even price. But if you enjoy it then of course none of that matters :slight_smile:

Be sure to read all the comments for the suggestions/improvements to the original recipe. There are ways to make it even easier with virtually no difference in result. For example, I use a proofing pail (from King Arthur Flour) and do all of the stages in that until putting the dough into the Dutch oven for baking…so I don’t have to deal with cleaning a counter/board and the two towels used in the original recipe. One pail to rinse out, and that’s it.

And yes, I mix the ingredients at the beginning with my KAF (Danish) dough whisk!

Soaking the head of the whisk in boiling water for a minute or so is my solution to the bacteria concern regarding that one spot where the metal meets the wood.

2 Likes

I feel that way about puff pastry as well.

An acquaintance who is a food critic (and excellent chef) brought chocolate croissants to a breakfast potluck. When I complimented him, he confessed that he used Trader Joe’s frozen croissant dough because it was as good as he could make from scratch and a heckuva lot easier. It’s in the frozen breakfast section of the store: take them out the night before and leave them to proof overnight on a baking sheet. There are two options: chocolate and mini plain croissants.

2 Likes

I’m not seeing any comments at all either on the recipe or the associated article - just cause I’m at work maybe??/

Ah. You’re probably quite right - I’ll wait for retirement.

But the piccies in the book are soooo lovely!

1 Like

Does anyone have a great cornbread recipe? I grew up with it, and recently made some from the Lodge Cast Iron cookbook, but it was … salty as a sailor’s beard.

Probably. I access the NYT via three separate pathways with various different add-ons and with one, I don’t see comments at all (not even that there are comments to be seen), with the second I see them but cannot “recommend” or post my own, and with the third I can see and do all of that.

1 Like

This is the recipe my family always used when I was growing up:

http://www.suzannedulin.com/lilbakergirl/perfect-cornbread/

Thanks! That looks very, very good. Especially the coconut oil bit - smart!

I made another batch tonight, similar to that recipe, but with butter instead of shortening (I love that word). Came out well, but I think I prefer 100% cornmeal - the wheat flour, for me, does make it cakey. I veer more to the bread side - although my kids didn’t much care for it.

The Lodge book had a lot of salt, and persuaded me to cook in bacon drippings, which is already salty, so I’m salted out. It did, though, come out a beautiful burnished colour. (That wasn’t me burning it, btw).

So I think I’m going to adapt your lovely recipe to a lower sugar, higher cornmeal effort, and go from there.

I’ve done a bunch of cornbreads but I have never seen a recipe that just called for corn meal and no flour.

Try making blueberry muffins, banana bread, and/or pineapple upside-down cake with coconut oil in place of the usual fat. Subtle but yummy.

1 Like

http://www.cookstr.com/recipes/crispy-corn-bread is apparently very like the recipe my partner grew up with in South Carolina.

“This ain’t no Yankee cornbread”

Asks for “white cornmeal”, but I have no idea what it is! Cornmeal was just fine.

My dad said when he was a kid they only used white cornmeal and corn because the yellow stuff was for cows.

Okay I have to try that recipe just because it’s kind of strange - so weird the 5 star review saying it is so sweet when there is not a lick of sugar in it.