Danish PSA for wearing bicycle helmets is the best Viking movie in 63 years

Originally published at: Danish PSA for wearing bicycle helmets is the best Viking movie in 63 years | Boing Boing

19 Likes

Can someone please transcribe the rallying cry “To the ships!” /Moul Skibe Da!/ Maybe?

I have a feeling it will come in handy.

11 Likes

Meanwhile we get eggs frying in a pan and a pocket watch hawking cheese as the peak of American PSA creativity.

8 Likes

That was great!

6 Likes

“it ruins my braids!” lol

19 Likes

“Best Viking movie in 63 years”

Props to Kirk Douglas as Prince Einar.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Somebody here put me on to this guy Collections: Armor in Order, Part I – A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry

Yes they bloody did wear helmets,[ETA apparently we have no evidence of that in the Viking era, per @Doctor_Faustus. So ignore me!] to hell with the braids! If you wore anything going you wore a helmet. The only people wearing armour with no helmet are actors that the director wants you to see the faces of

11 Likes

Yeah - HATE that. Like anytime there is a “paintball” episode of a show, they constantly don’t have masks on. And any space helmets have lights that light up the face. Dumb.

12 Likes

It’s certainly effective as comedy, but I’m not sure how useful it is at accomplishing its goal: motivating helmet-reluctant people to wear their helmet.

The vast portion of the ad psychologically emphasizes all the reasons not to wear a helmet.

8 Likes

Oh yeah, I love that site. Haven’t checked it out in a while, thanks for the reminder!

3 Likes
3 Likes

Even today sometimes I hanker for a hunk of cheese.

15 Likes

I kind of feel like The Vikings wasn’t as good as you remember it. It isn’t really better than Valhalla Rising. With the rise of Vikings and The Last Kingdom and even Norsemen you would think that they could make a really great viking movie.

2 Likes

I went back and forth. I think the key part is that we’re supposed to recognize that the leader is being childish in not wanting to wear a helmet, even though we might have all the same reactions to wearing a helmet and reasons for not wanting one. So in turn we recognize that our own reasons are childish.

It doesn’t help, though, that he’s so good-looking without the helmet and does look a bit silly with.

3 Likes

This all comes back to government cheese, doesn’t it?

1 Like

British children’s television does not fuck around

7 Likes
  1. Wow, UVEX and Splattmasters - old school.

2. Holy crap! Well, that is a dramatic reminder of why you never lift your goggles on the field. Consider this a… double blind study…

Side note - I forgot when ever vikings are brought up, I have vowed to show my favorite use of vikings in media:

7 Likes

It was filmed in the early 90s

Probably the best (or worst) part was that PJ never recovered. He was permanently blind and when he was written out of the series a year later it was because he had been offered a place at a school for the blind outside Newcastle. His final appearance was about 8 years later when he came back for Geoff’s funeral, having learned to live with his disability. Byker Grove didn’t pretend that life was nice and comfortable. Sometimes bad things happened to good people.

6 Likes

As I recall, Timer was an ambiguous blob which carried a pocket watch, but wasn’t a watch itself.

5 Likes