Danish PSA for wearing bicycle helmets is the best Viking movie in 63 years

Early 90s really should have had better goggles. But I guess the field probably was still using what they had, vs buying all new JT masks. JT made stuff for motorcross, and their masks became the industry gold standard for many years. Thick Lexan lenses.

In the mid 90s for a hot minute the pro level players wore masks with no face shield, for the same vain reasons, better recognition in pictures and video. But then the rules changed to require face masks as well as goggles.

I remember seeing some British show called The Tribe, which gave off similar vibes. Like a soap opera with teens set in the not too distant post apocalypse future. But I have never heard of Byker Grove before. I assume “Byker” is a name, and no relation to person who bikes?

3 Likes

Det var fremragende! er… that was excellent, thank you. as a selfish/personal aside, i’m able to type this because of a bicycle helmet. it turns out one doesn’t need a clavicle, but a protected cranium was/is essential.

9 Likes

Byker is an area in Newcastle Upon Tyne, although the show was mostly filmed in Benwell, a few miles to the West of the real Byker and on the other side of the city centre.

4 Likes

Motorcycling figured out where to put personal branding when everyone wore a mask… the butt!! Here’s Valentino “the doctor” Rossi:

6 Likes

The Tribe was made in New Zealand.

2 Likes

Followed by all the characters lifting their goggles in the field! Mixed message theater today.

3 Likes

I’d say the 'Splode anti-smoking PSA was pretty damn good.

4 Likes

Wasn’t it made by the BBC, or just imported to them?

1 Like

Wear your damn “pudding bucket”.

5 Likes

Eh, I wouldn’t be so sure about that myself. Helmets from the Viking age exist but they are exceedingly rare. In fact there are only one or two helmets from the entire era that are known today. Part of that may have to do with grave customs but then again other expensive weapons had been deposited, so it is certainly true that helmets, at least metal helmets, were the preserve of the very rich. Even more so than swords.

4 Likes

I must obviously bow to your superior knowledge. The place I was taking it from was in the context of “if you had armour it would be a gambeson, something to protect the head, and a shield. Anything else was luxury for the rich”.

4 Likes

Mod skibene

If you want to pronounce it in Danish you have to first insert a potato into your mouth, though. Although that guy is actually surprisingly easy to understand for a Dane.

Of course in reality he would have spoken Old Norse rather than modern Danish, so it might be better to learn something like til skipanna if you actually want to communicate with Vikings.

11 Likes

Logic would dictate that that is true, it’s just that for the Viking age specifically we have basically no proof of that hypothesis.

4 Likes

Or maybe second best…

13 Likes

Heh, what a coincidence… just finished bingeing the first 8 Stranglers albums, it has been too long. Mainly triggered by the new single:

RIP Dave

1 Like

I personally wear a helmet, not because I suck at riding a bicycle, but because “sharing” the road means I’m on the road with others who have poor vehicle operating skills.

I always think of this when the topic of helmets comes up.
Bicycle Culture by Design: Mikael Colville-Andersen at TEDxZurich
Culture Of Fear

3 Likes

My daughter still treasures her Viking Kitten plushie.

4 Likes

Rossi has also done some interesting things with the top of his helmet, in particular for his home race in Mugello.

My favourite is this one from 2008:

6 Likes

You beat me to it with the KLF :heart_eyes: (those are hearts, not paintball shots)

4 Likes

Never mind the Vikings. The best Norse Film was The Thirteenth Warrior - right down to using a reference from Ibn Fadlan.

2 Likes