Daring biker rides an abandoned watermain through the mountains

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/02/daring-biker-rides-an-abandoned-watermain-through-the-mountains.html

4 Likes

Riding on a convex surface high off the ground that’s coated in damp moss? Ah…no thank you!

(You’d think that having _____ that large would interfere with pedalling. On second thought, maybe they’re an asset - lowering the center of gravity…)

8 Likes

7 Likes

I feel like this is the difference between when I’m the driver and the passenger. As the driver I’m focused on what is happening directly around me and on the road. Mean while as the passenger I’m all like, hey when did they build that?

7 Likes

I’m all for taking risks if there’s a worthwhile payoff. What’s the payoff here? Views?

4 Likes

If it’s that large, above ground, and curving, it’s usually a gasmain. Either way it’s interesting that it’s smooth, without any welded or riveted ridges, so that it can be ridden on like that.

3 Likes

Wat, an abandoned watermelon?

Oh, I see. Where my caffeine at?

16 Likes

I did that too

10 Likes

The moss seems to be worn away from the surface, which says to me that this gets ridden fairly often, or was cleared away prior to this attempt.

8 Likes

Looks pretty smooth/clear of moss on the top area. I guess people regularly ride or walk on it?

I get nervous enough on my motorcycle when splitting lanes on the freeway. The challenge is the need for continuous concentration and absolute control over your motor skills. Gotta be similar here; you don’t fall, and then don’t fall and don’t fall.

4 Likes

That’s how I initial read it, too - and now that the video has apparently been taken down, I’m just going to assume that’s what the video actually was.

3 Likes

Poor widdle watermelon! :cry:

4 Likes

Abandoned in the mountains, only to then have a mean biker ride on it! :sob:

3 Likes

The video is still available on Facebook.

12 Likes

As I understand it, there’s neurology research showing that some people have a reduced serotonin sensitivity, and need much more exciting things in order to feel pleasure. Among other groups, it seems more likely to present in people with ADHD.

If there are any medical folks on the channel with knowledge about this, I’m all ears.

4 Likes

When we were kids we would hit the local mall for midnight movies.

One we got completely hammered we would walk on the hand rail that was about 6 inches wide.

No alcohol involved no hand rail or drain pipe.

There seems to be a moss free spot right on top. I wonder if it’s a common place mountain bikers ride.

If I encountered that on walk I might walk on the walkway next to the pipe while me wife yelled at me.

Me and my wife ride in some fun places with an occasional steep hill where there’s a risk of hitting a tree but if there’s a chance of falling off a mountain we walk.

This is the mall and hand rail we used to walk on. Young and stupid, miracle we’re alive.

8 Likes

If you are all ears, you’ll need an otorhinolaryngologist.

That sounds like the title to a “Fast & Furious” prequel.

6 Likes

T-shirt or second album.

4 Likes

Cyclist.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.