Dating site OKCupid lets you filter out climate change deniers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/20/dating-site-okcupid-lets-you-f.html

2 Likes

Please indicate your match preferences:

:x: Republican
:ballot_box_with_check: Human

:ballot_box_with_check: Accepts scientific consensus on climate change
:x: Denies scientific consensus on climate change

:x: Ketchup on hot dogs
:ballot_box_with_check: No ketchup on hot dogs

:ballot_box_with_check: One space after period
:x: Two spaces after period

28 Likes

Where’s the filter for those of us who are already married, and/or don’t use OKCupid? Like, I need this filtering preference for daily life in general.

10 Likes

Here:

22 Likes

We’re made for each other! But one more question: Is a hot dog a sandwich?

11 Likes

I defer to the ruling of Judge John Hodgman on the issue:

Hot dogs didn’t come through the Earl of Sandwich. It’s a piece of street food: It did not begin as a sandwich, it was a sausage. It was added on a bun later, because before, people would eat hot dogs with their white gloves at the St. Louis World’s Fair, which is gross.

I would also add that there is an entire franchise called “Hot Dog on a Stick” which doesn’t even offer buns as an option, so the idea of a “hot dog” exists wholly independently of “things consumed between two slices of bread.”

14 Likes

Is there a box to tick to filter out anti-vaxxers?

19 Likes

And, once we settle that question; is chili a soup?

7 Likes

What about chemtrails, lizard people, and the moon landing?

6 Likes

you believe in the moon? the moon is just a figment of our collective imaginations!

/s

3 Likes

That‘s what I‘m saying! are you single?

10 Likes

This is sort of redundant. I already assume that people who self-identify as conservative are very likely Trumpist climate change deniers - at least in the US.I filtered them out during my time on OKCupid and other such sites.

3 Likes

2 Likes

Sheesh. Yes, I recognize that in actuality Republicans are indeed human beings.

Horrible, horrible human beings.

22 Likes

Back in the day when I checked out OKCupid, the easy filters were any mentions of God/church/prayer, photos with/of pickup truck or gun, selfies from recliners, creepy half-dressed bathroom mirror shots, and lack of humor in Q&A section (or inability to discern really stupid questions in Q&A section). Unfortunately in my area that left about .05% potential, and 75% of those had long since abandoned their profile.

5 Likes

NeedyReflectingIsabellineshrike-max-1mb

4 Likes

Well that’s something I guess. But I can’t help but wonder whether letting me rule out people who think interracial marriage is wrong or that women should be obligated to shave their legs might be equally or more important to me.

OkCupid changed their algorithm many years ago because it wanted you to feel like you had more matches. They devalued “mandatory” in the algorithm so there’s no longer any way to make something a dealbreaker question.

Basically, if something is owned by Match.com I won’t touch it. OkCupid was a great site back in the 2000s. Between the proliferation of smartphones and the changes that were made to the site, it just became another useless cesspit of dashed hopes.

1 Like

Pretty much the same people…

2 Likes

tacos-are-a-type-of-sandwich-change-my-mind-my-59329171

4 Likes

:ballot_box_with_check: Vegan

1 Like