Daughter of Hong Kong leader thanks "taxpayers" for diamonds on Facebook

Curiously, an edition of the Asia Times which conveniently fell through a rift in the time-space continuum from 1000 years in the future describes her as: “A mindless jerk who was among the first against the wall when the revolution came.”

6 Likes

Geez, I try really hard to not get into the whole ‘kids these days’ thing, but COME ON!

I’m not trying to be contrary, the people are not protesting because this woman is an entitled jerk. They are looking at vastly wider concerns. Her attitude is a result of the underlying wealth disparity, it’s a symptom not a cause.

Her phrasing irritated me because it’s the same attitude which lead the Hobby Lobby people to think they should have a say in the healthcare of their employees.

I don’t know enough to say whether her father should lose his job, but I am inclined to accept the judgement of the tremendous number of people in the streets of Hong Kong. I don’t get a say in how their home is governed, but they absolutely should.

5 Likes

基督是什么混蛋!

10 Likes

OK, I bit. :blush:

2 Likes

Cory it the only one I’ve heard say it’s about wealth inequality. Most of the reporting I’m reading says it’s about political self-determination. There would be a certain amount of irony if Hong Kong were protesting China’s wealth since their per-capita GDP is about 5x China’s and it’s arguably distributed with less disparity.

I’m sure there are furnaces in the medical schools they could get some time using. It’s good for educational establishments to cooperate.

"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.”

1 Like

It’s called “optics”, my friend.

Suicide attempter = attention-whoring trolley. Got it.

Or, what if this is her subversive way of supporting the protests? Posting the odd ‘perfect storm’ update to facebook? [Perfect political shitstorm for her father, that is.]

On Quartz
Why protestors want Hong Kong’s Chief executive to go to hell

But as the son of a police officer who eventually built his fortune as a real-estate executive, earning him the nickname “emperor of the working class,” he is also seen as a symbol of one of the elite members of Hong Kong’s increasingly unequal society.

And that article, links to this Bloomberg article

Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying vowed to boost housing supply, tackle pollution and provide more elderly care, as quality-of-life issues dominated his first policy address as the city’s leader.

Hong Kong, the most expensive city in the world to buy a home, will maintain property curbs for overseas buyers, Leung told the Legislative Council. The supply of housing in the next five years will exceed the previous period by at least 18 percent, according to figures compiled from Leung’s speech.

Yesterday’s speech marked Leung’s effort to follow up on promises he made while campaigning for the job to bridge Hong Kong’s record wealth gap and make homes more affordable. His term so far has been defined by battles with opposition lawmakers and protests by tens of thousands of people, and his approval rating – 31 percent – is at a record low.

I guess Leung Chun-ying didn’t follow up.

To claim that Cory’s obsession is unique is to admit that Boing Boing is your one deviation from a journalistic monoculture.

1 Like

If you work for Hobby Looby, and I’m not saying you do, monies that would ordinarily go towards heterosexual perversity are not yours to spend.

With all due respect don’t quote me out of context. I begin with she has clear psychological problem / mental health issue.

yep it did strike me that this a very convenient time for an unverified online identity to be putting out the fires with gasoline. Thank you David…

1 Like

God bless her!

Tearing down the system from within by providing an idealized bad example of the 1%!!

2 Likes

I really hope she is trolling her dad and China right now - it just seems too perfect that she is so anti-“taxpayer” right now. She is either really oblivious or really smart. Hopefully it’s the latter.

1 Like

Right. But you didn’t let her mental health problems prevent you from calling her a trolley and an attention whore “at best.” I can only imagine what she is at worst.

And if Bill de Blasio buys a Lexus and brags on Facebook it was paid for by the tax-payers then he is an asshole.

1 Like

If posting your suicide attempt on Facebook isn’t “attention seeking,” I don’t know what is. She can have legit problems on top of that, but still.

1 Like