David Bowie's ground-breaking "Heroes" is 43 today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/14/david-bowies-ground-breaking-heroes-is-43-today.html

9 Likes

Love the video with Tony Visconti’s explanation but it seems there’s one element missing that he doesn’t explain. Eno’s synths and Bowie playing Solina/ARP doesn’t quite account for the pulsating rhythm that phases in and out slowly in the background…a pretty key thing going on there. Eno’s synths have some of it but there’s a “choppiness” that comes from somewhere else? Maybe?

Also why is Bowie’s “official” video for the song the bastardized version that cuts off the entire first half?

4 Likes

That Visconti studio video is amazing. He makes the process look so easy but I guess if you’re working with Bowie, Fripp and Eno magic happens. Wow.

5 Likes
5 Likes

Is that a word? “earth-shaking” maybe?

@ChuckV isn’t it amazing how Motörhead effortlessly captured the essence of that song, while other bands can only turn it into a lame whinefest?

3 Likes

A perfect album by any measure. My one gripe that as a young, LP bound drug user back in the day, I’d spin side B as a come-down enhancer at say, 4am, only to have the relatively far too loud Secret Life of Arabia jar me out of the post-acid-trip peace that the other songs on that side so beautifully created. But, now in hindsight, all is forgiven, David.

2 Likes

We could be heroes, just for 43+ years

5 Likes

Gloat moment: the first time I heard “Heroes” was at a David Bowie concert. It was loud and sublime.

4 Likes

That video is an excerpt from a longer “classic album cuts!” (or whatever) documentary. It was on Amazon video a while ago but doesn’t seem to be there now. Look for it - lots more about how they made the sounds and some other studio stories.

3 Likes

YES!! This is the best cover of Heroes ever!!
Way more heartfelt, tragic and sci-fi awesome, I absolutely love it.

4 Likes

I posted a link to the song “Heroes” for my students and then linked to a short documentary on how the Berlin wall got built!

:roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Seriously I think Chris Isaak would do a much better version in that style, and it would make more sense.

2 Likes

The problem is too many covers make the song slow and ponderous, when its really more of buildup to a joyous shout. (Peter Gabriel’s cover is especially egregious)

It’s about a couple divided by the Berlin wall. What’s joyous about that?

Apparently, scratch that… it’s about the producer’s doomed relationship with the back up singer, if you believe lyric genius:

https://genius.com/David-bowie-heroes-lyrics

Or that’s at least one interpretation… Either way, I don’t see joyous in the song, but heartbreak and loss. As such the PG and DM versions are perfectly valid interpretations, as was Motorhead’s.

3 Likes

From Lyric Genius
“Heroes” affirms the idea that things don’t have to last to have value–the lovers won’t be able to stay together, but they’re together for now, and that is meaningful enough.”

Seems pretty joyous there. Even if temporary :slight_smile:

It is the part of the song where Bowie has reached a crescendo after all.

Every interpretation is a valid one if it resonates with you. Good art does that. I value your opinion even if it is not shared.

1 Like

I disagree. Having the joy of the moment doesn’t fully undercut the tragedy involved.

Me too.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a much longer, more complete version of that Tony Visconti vid. He explained everything.

2 Likes
3 Likes

For some reason, I’ve always preferred the German version, Helden over others. It sounds more fraught and frenetic to me. Thanks for posting, @garethb2.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.