David Cameron announces a new age of intolerance

What a total fucking cunt you are. Fuck off.

2 Likes

They’ve already used existing “anti-extremist” laws to target Labour, so it looks like everyone but Tories are included.

Well, so be it then. I’d advise everyone but Tories blogging from the UK to set the default (maybe a 24-hour delay from last post) to “Next post pending approval by Government censors.” And then submit all posts to the Government for approval.

1 Like

That might be a bit obscure for those of us who were neither around at the time nor for the later movie.

What is the maximum safe dose? I seem to recall others who figured a tot of totalitarianism was just the thing, but misjudged a bit.

3 Likes

They’ve already used existing “anti-extremist” laws to target Labour, so it looks like everyone but Tories are included.

The US court system has a notion of strict scrutinywhich it uses to review laws that abridge fundamental rights.

To pass strict scrutiny, the legislature must have passed the law to further a “compelling governmental interest,” and must have narrowly tailored the law to achieve that interest.

Now, the UK isn’t the US, and the notion of having primary legislation conform to a superior body of law may be somewhat alien (especially in light of plans to withdraw from the ECHR Council of Europe, but the phrases “narrowly tailored” and “compelling governmental interest” do strike me as appropriate criteria to judge any such legislation. Obviouslly, the government has a compelling interest in stopping the idiots such as those who murdered Lee Rigby and those who carried out the 7/7 bombings, and those who recieve training from the “Islamic State”.

The question is whether the law is narrowly tailored to serve those interests, and not less compelling ones in the meantime. And without seeing the legislation, no one can really judge.

As for targeting Labourites, well, that would be an argument against “narrow tailoring” wouldn’t it? Please provide a cite.

Good legislation in this area might be possible, but a bad bill seems inevitable.

1 Like

Here. Have a vintage article.

Eugene V Debs arrested on sedition charge

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.