David Duchovny was once banned from a Vancouver strip club for making fun of the weather

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/30/david-duchovny-was-once-banned-from-a-vancouver-strip-club-for-making-fun-of-the-weather.html

2 Likes

I want to believe this story.

17 Likes

:man_shrugging: Free advertisement is free. LoL at “Hurt my feelings…”

3 Likes

I just wanted to know if it was raining men… was disappointed…

3 Likes

Self censoring so much right now

1 Like

Weird. In my experience, people from rainy places usually take a perverse pride in the grimness of the weather.

I mean, I’m British. I know whereof what I speak.

9 Likes

That’s a sad story. But it’s good they got out of B.C. before getting interned and their property seized and sold by the Crown.

As a student at UBC back in the day I spent many afternoons at No5 (and the Marble Arch, etc.) because a classmate of mine was a part-time peeler.

2 Likes

That’s the point, Vancouverites do take pride in the rain. And they took pride in the X-Files. Duchovny wasn’t from here and was in the process of breaking up with us. He left us / we kicked him out and X-Files was never the same. But we still have our 400 inches/day.

1 Like

You would think that a strip club would like someone with plans to make it rain 400in/day.

Unless he was all talk and didn’t pay when the time came, of course.

2 Likes

Thanks for confirming the number. I thought maybe he got in trouble for underestimating the rainfall.

3 Likes

That is so terribly sad. Thanks for sharing it and that lovely photo.

4 Likes

Thank you for sharing local history Robertor. I heard there will be a museum in town where I hope you’ll present this story too.

4 Likes

Never give up on re-telling this. Those riots are easy to forget a century on.

Particularly given the shape of the neighbourhood these days as it’s a short walk to Main and Hastings:

Those same riots brought about some of Canada’s first real anti-recreational drug legislation, including anti-marijuana on the pretense it was just as bad as opium. It looped in racist sentiments to further vilify it all.

Aside: other than Deadpool, No5 orange’s old claim to fame was some of its ex-dancers including Courtney Love (scroll to bottom of old article with bad formatting):

https://www.vancouversun.com/life/first+orange+chef+with+cred/8038372/story.html

And more recently:

3 Likes

Wow, I didn’t know that. Hardly surprising. Cannabis was outlawed in the US due to anti-immigrant sentiment (Mexican, specifically). IIRC, the term Marijuana was applied at that time to make it seem more insidious and foreign.

2 Likes

I’m kind of amazed to see the “sex addiction” claim come up again on BB of all places! Sex addiction is not a thing.

1 Like

Yeah sure it was about the weather there…
or…
He just isnt into those kind of showers…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.