Terry Crews names his sexual assaulter: William Morris Endeavor superagent Adam Venit

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/11/15/terry-crews-names-his-sexual-a.html

3 Likes

this…

bad reaction to alcohol and medication and can’t remember what he did and he’s sorry but it’s not his fault

I’ve heard this excuse from a friend multiple times in regards to their poor behavior. The last time was it.

7 Likes

I want to see the return of Happy Terry. :cry:

9 Likes

1)Terry Crews is awesome and I’m glad he called this guy out. 2) What kind of fool would mess with Terry Crews?? 3) He’s fun to watch as the host of “Ultimate Beastmaster” on Netflix.

12 Likes

That is the creepiest thing I’ve heard all day.

6 Likes

What on Earth are these parties like that such behavior could be considered even remotely normal…? I suspect that the host did not subsequently summon a cab for Mr. Venit and inform him that he would no longer be welcome at future events.

3 Likes

It’s Hollywood. From revelations the past few months, it’s clear this has been considered “excusable” behavior in Hollywood forever. Actually, it’s been considered excusable behavior for people in power everywhere, not just Hollywood parties. I am glad that is ending. I hope it’s ending, anyway.

12 Likes

That freaked me out, and I wasn’t the victim.

7 Likes

I mean, the other revelations at least had some tendency to relate to actions perpetrated behind closed doors and subsequent fervent denials by the accused. This sounds like something done in broad daylight in view of peers – even taking the most cynical view, one might expect people of “lower status” with an interest in ruining the reputation of others. This is disturbing to think about.

3 Likes

I know why Crews didn’t punch him out, but still, I’d have paid money to see him do it, followed with a “Wooo!”

6 Likes

“Terry is not happy having to relive that moment in front of the press”
-Terry Crews

5 Likes

Have you seen him on Brooklyn Nine Nine on Fox?
The guy knows how to use wield “The Funny” at his own expense.

2 Likes

We all do. We all do.

1 Like

Thank you for coming forward, Mr. Crews.

10 Likes

Don’t worry, it’s early.

4 Likes

I’m sort of assume this was a light-hearted throwaway but I’m going to take it as a launching point anyway.

He does seem like a less-than-ideal target, being a famous person, a man, considerably bigger than his attacker (I’m just guessing on this last one, but it’s an educated guess).

At the same time, it can be very hard for anyone to come forward with a story like this. I notice his use of the word “emasculated” and think about how when you have a story about something like this there will always be people who will wonder what you did to lead the other person on. Lots of people don’t want to come forward because they don’t want to be subject to that kind of victim blaming.

For a straight man who was assaulted by another man, that narrative takes on an added dimension of questioning your sexuality. For a big man like Terry Crews it probably takes on an added dimension of “Well, he could have defended himself.” Like if he really didn’t want it to happen he could have knocked the guy out.

In reality, Crews may be uniquely unqualified to physically defend himself - since large black men are not really given the benefit of the doubt if things get violent. The same impulse that makes us think, “Who would mess with Terry Crews?” would be playing against him if he ever did defend himself. People who are critical of him will have no trouble holding those two views in their head at the same time (if he punched the guy he’d be a “thug”, if he didn’t he must have wanted it).

Crews has a lot of things going for him as a victim making a statement (it’s a lot harder to say “that bitch is lying” when the “bitch” is Terry Crews), but I don’t think it’s ever easy for anyone. The fact is, this happened close to two years ago and he kept it to himself. If it weren’t for the current wave of people coming forward, who knows how much longer he might have kept it to himself. Adam Venit wasn’t really that wrong when he thought he could assault Terry Crews and get away with it, not really any more wrong, anyway, than Roy Moore was when he used his position as a DA to silence teenagers.

ETA: I guess I was dead on with the “he couldn’t fight back because then he’d be blamed” narrative. Scrolling past an ad that I thought was the end of the article, Crews raising this himself.

24 Likes

Always room for jello^H^H^H^H^Hfurther Roy Moore revelations…

3 Likes

And, yes, I know I’m going to Hell.

2 Likes

Perhaps the perpetrators can crawl under the rocks recently vacated by the white nationalists…

3 Likes

Crews explained in his original Twitter posts: why he didn’t end up getting into a fight:

I was going to kick his ass right then— but I thought twice about how the whole thing would appear. (4/cont.)

“240 lbs. Black Man stomps out Hollywood Honcho” would be the headline the next day. (5/cont.)

Only I probably wouldn’t have been able to read it because I WOULD HAVE BEEN IN JAIL. So we left.
(6/cont.)

13 Likes