Terry Crews names his sexual assaulter: William Morris Endeavor superagent Adam Venit

No, no, no! That space is not available. The vacancy is temporary.

Don’t worry, there are tons of rocks.

3 Likes

…and a lot of slime…

4 Likes

Could St John’s Wort and Xanex do that? I’ll have to be careful…

There’s a lot of creepy people out there… And when they have power, that makes it so much worse.

1 Like

A friend of mine grew up in DC in the 1970s - his father worked for the CIA, his best friend’s parents were all diplomats and politicians. He tells many stories of outrageous behavior just like this at various parties his parents and family friends held. Apparently, in addition to being a war criminal, Henry Kissinger was quite the predator back in those days.

8 Likes

I would add that it also is quite probable that Terry Crews is also a decent human being and knows that because his size and strength he could seriously injure someone…so he chose not to fight for this reason as much as the others expressed.

3 Likes

Initially the frustrating thing is that Crews told the story but decided not to name the person. I am glad that he worked up the courage to formally put in a sexual harassment case against the guy and publicly named him. I hope that other stars that were victims of this kind of thing stop being vague about who is responsible and call them out. Unfortunately i understand the apprehension, they could sue for defamation if there’s no evidence but i’m glad that so many actors and people are speaking out about these crimes.

2 Likes

He said in the interview that his initial instinct was to hit the guy, but that his wife had coached him, repeatedly, over the years, for what to do in instances where his instinct might be to get physical.

7 Likes

I take psychoactive medication and overindulge in alcohol more than I’d like to admit, yet no one is coming forth with sexual assault allegations against me. Then again, friends describe me as a Nietzschean Übermensch. So there’s that.

2 Likes

I’m no expert but I have taken metric fucktons of various ‘medications’ and drank myself silly but I never sexually assaulted anyone while doing it. Maybe I’m taking the wrong meds.

3 Likes

You’re a normal person.

In the specific case of my friend, they never did anything as egregious as sexual assault…more just shitty behavior to others and then explaining it away with that very excuse “Oh, I mixed things…I am so sorry, I had no idea.”

It doesn’t fly or pass mustard for just being an asshole, let alone assaulting someone.

3 Likes

that’s the truth like ‘OJ did it’.

5 Likes

How about “all week” or “all month”?

That you remember anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

(I know, it's a serious topic, I'm sorry, couldn't resist, I'm bad and going to hell. Wait, am I drunk?)
5 Likes

“I predict Venit will say he had a bad reaction to alcohol and medication and can’t remember what he did and he’s sorry but it’s not his fault.”

Some drugs have been shown to increase impulsivity, disinhibition, and increased violence (even run of the mill antidepressants). And alcohol has already been shown to make you “not care” about future actions, as well as cause memory problems. Now mix those two, or maybe more, and you don’t think there’s some possible question of “volition”? Ever?

Now, I would definitely be skeptical if Venit deployed this excuse, but that doesn’t mean it’s something we shouldn’t think about and discuss seriously. There’s plenty of evidence that we should start thinking about alcohol as a serious public health issue. I’m not going down the path of a prohibition, but maybe we should reevaluate our culture around really heavy drinking.

2 Likes

Yeah, Terry Crews seems really nice, but I would hesitate to antagonize him in any way.

He looks big enough to twist my head off like a bottle cap.

4 Likes

The kind of party where a girl offers you cocaine mixed with crushed Ativan to snort, and you’re like “ummm… no thanks, I’m not sure how those interact…” and she looks at you like you’re the weirdo and says “it doesn’t get processed by your liver like booze!” – which is she is also currently drinking.

Not that I’ve ever seen or heard anything like that before…

This might be the only organic chance I ever get to refer to this deep cut Public Enemy classic, so here it is. : )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCB4Y8bwcRY

2 Likes

^ Also acknowledging I get this as largely in jest, but to comment from it: that kind of shows the power people can feel they have in the industry.

I expect at least part of why Terry Crews didn’t come forward with this until now is that this Super Agent holds a lot of power over a lot of careers. And making that kind of an enemy, especially in as uncertain and random a profession as acting, is no light thing to consider.

Glad Crews came forward.

3 Likes

When it first came out (before he named the guy specifically), Crews said he considered responding more forcefully, but then the headline would be “250-pound black guy assaults Hollywood partygoer” or something like that.

In other words, being big enough to beat the shit out of the guy sexually assaulting you won’t help, because sexual assault perpetrators are targeting you precisely because they know that’s not a good option for you.