David Lynch cooks quinoa

How do you pronounce it?

1 Like

How long does a crop have to be introduced into a non native setting before you stop considering it cultural appropriation?

2 Likes

So the economic issues with quinoa farming are possibly overstated but the environmental issues remain unchallenged (becoming monoculture farming which damages soil in the long run)

2 Likes

When it’s produced outside of its native cultural setting in quantity sounds like a good criteria.

Y’know he draws a number from 1 to 10 everyday?

I find it… inspiring.

3 Likes

You’re in a bad place in an argument when you start positing opinions to people that they didn’t say. Try harder.

Oh, also on the point of trying harder, look more comprehensively than a single Guardian article.

Note the key section on sustainability of the Quinoa boom. Hint: the Andes are a bad place for rapidly expanding mass agriculture, and long distance transportation of grain is not a good environmental practice.

There is a ton of stupid nutritional woohoo around Quinoa and we would all be better off if we did, in fact, choose other whole grains instead.

1 Like

Not for nothing but Quinoa is one of the few grains which maintains an edible texture when cold. Making it good for salads. It’s also fairly quick and easy to cook.

That being said, it’s production is a nightmare for developing world agriculture in terms of environmental impact. So for that reason I will stop buying it.

Most self-respecting Greek people drink it over lots of ice cubes - adding water is optional but dilutes the aniseed flavour. The melting ice will turn the ouzo cloudy as it melts. However, it is pretty strong and Greece can be a hot country so it’s advisable to have plenty of water to hand to drink separately and to avoid dehydration. Providing you don’t overdo it, it’s one of the world’s greatest drinks and taken on a summer’s day in a shady island taverna it is instant heaven. But then later you buy a bottle to take back to your own country and discover that it just doesn’t taste the same - it is possibly the most context-specific drink in the world.

2 Likes

His story about that one time he bought a soda includes details like “frog-moths were pulling themselves out of the ground”, so when I see that he has a sealed plastic bag of broccoli, I am interested to hear about how he got that from the grocery store.

Europeans need to stop eating tomatoes, potatoes and corn, stat!

2 Likes

Arrak/Raki are pretty much the same sort of thing. Typically drinken over ice or cold water, turns cloudy when chilled. Both with heavy anise flavor. From the same part of the world more or less.

Potatoes saved German peasants from famine in the 30 Years War and caused the Irish Famine of 1847.

Yep. Cultural appropriation runs deep.

1 Like

I’d say the British occupation caused our potato famine more so than the potato blight did, but that’s a while other topic.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.