David Lynch's unfinished script for Dune 2 unearthed

Originally published at: David Lynch's unfinished script for Dune 2 unearthed

3 Likes

Is it too soon to suggest that while Villeneuve Dune is objectively a much better movie

It’s certainly more cinematically impressive, but woe betides us misbegotten who can’t find anything but wimpy annoying sylph in Timothée Hal Chalamet’s Paul Atreides

3 Likes

emo genocide is in fashion!

4 Likes

Waiting for the Disney version…

1ee7447d2a0f1bf0b0975dbba19c51a5be4cdecd_2_690x294

14 Likes

8 Likes

jah, sorry (and no sorry), Im a sucker for that one, I got the 3d-version of it (its a truly superb conversion from 2d) and strangely enough really like the over-the-top self-seriousness of it; its epic, its like an opera, its broadstroke as fuck like an old battle-painting and I love it.

3 Likes

Never. The Lynch Dune is an interesting mess, but a mess nevertheless. (The never-happened Jodorowsky Dune would have been an absolutely catastrophic trainwreck, too, but a glorious one.)

9 Likes

Nuke it from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure.

3 Likes

I like Villeneuve’s Dune so far, but it is within the realm of possibility that Part II will be a stinker.

5 Likes

Of course – as in the book – wherein he was a 15-year-old.

5 Likes

Yes.

Yes.

7 Likes

Oh, that is absolutely a possibility. But I’m hopeful about the second part. If only because the whole thing isn’t a trilogy!

4 Likes

I’m not a huge fan of Lynch, but I liked that he was able to portray everyone in the movie as a deeply weird person by my standards.

What I didn’t like was the short shrift given to Duncan, Gurney, Chani, and all the other Atreides-Who-Were-Not-Paul. The narrator was given the task of saying “Paul and Chani’s love grew”, and that was it for their entire relationship, but they put 10 minutes of cultivating a disease in the Baron. Pretty unbalanced.

5 Likes

That’s the problem with Dune 84. It’s narrated.

I would argue that it is much more impressive than Dune 21 - it really gave me bad dreams when I watched it the first time, and I am very sure that the current iteration of the story has nothing of that power whatsoever.

Dune 21 looks more ‘real’ than Dune 84 - but not in a good way. The one thing which I really appreciate is the worm: the VX of old weren’t immersive at all, and this did kill the scenes. But everything else felt more real in Dune 84, in a dreamlike way.

The storytelling sucked, but that’s actually the point of Lynch. His films aren’t stories in a ‘this happens and because of this that happens’ kind of way. They are dreams. They are visceral rather than visual. And Dune 84 is no exception: I think it is a sleepwalk. “The sleeper awakes” is the conclusion of this.

Dune 21, in comparison, seems like a head and shoulders commercial to me, but for eugenics. And while I can fallow the story, while the visuals are cool and look good, while the set design even feels realistic and immersive it feels, sadly, inconsequential.

I am looking forward to the second part to get the chance to adapt to it, and change my view… Maybe it works if I watch them back to back.

5 Likes

Villeneuve’s Dune reminds me of Zach Snyder’s Watchmen film – very faithful to the source, but is very boring in the way it does it, with no vision added. Lynch’s Dune is not unlike Kubrick’s The Shining in that it takes liberties with the source material to make a new, more interesting, work.

6 Likes

I will say I found Lynch’s Dune more visually inventive than the new version, especially for a film made before CGI. That Guild Navigator was just so freaking weird, made moreso because people who hadn’t read the books had no way of knowing if it was a mutant or an alien or what.

The new version told a more coherent story but it didn’t seem to take as many risks.

5 Likes

funny, I thought yesterday that villeneuves dune is what snyder would love to have done, if he had the necessary skills to do so.

not in my book; snyder did not get the source material, best shown in the transformation of walter kovacs into rorschach (the scene where he kills the child molester). hated it.

3 Likes

Any film that has pugs in it is better than any film that doesn’t have pugs in it by definition.

2 Likes

In terms of the character designs, cinematography and major plot points (excepting the space squid) Snyder’s Watchmen was arguably one of the most faithful graphic-novel-to-film adaptations ever. But as you suggest it still felt like Snyder didn’t really “get” it. Nuance was stripped out in frustrating and sometimes baffling ways. He’d often make small changes to scenes and dialogue that undercut the original for no apparent reason.

He did murder Lee Iacocca though, so that was kind of funny.

4 Likes

That’s always something of a problem with films based on books1) and a huge problem with films based on comics2). It’s a different medium than the source material (I hesitate to use the term original) and changes must be made. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Ironically, staying too faithful to the source can completely ruin the film.
From where I sit, one of the best comic-to-film adaptions is Rocketeer. Lots of changes3), sure, but they kept the tone, the feel, the spirit of the graphic novel. One is just as enjoyable as the other.

1) Visuals in my head only.
2) Actual visuals everyone can compare.
3) Prompting the obligatory whining from the usual suspects.

4 Likes