David Lynch's Dune to return to movie theaters in February

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/01/19/david-lynchs-dune-to-return-to-movie-theaters-in-february.html

4 Likes

Pass; I’m not a fan of Lynch’s style of film making.

Anyone who is, please enjoy!

6 Likes

This comparison of the two Dune’s special effects is quite interesting, especially 16:00 in, when they talk about miniature sand.

2 Likes

I did not post this. I am not here.

3 Likes

For most artists there’s the (rather rude) “But have you tried X?” response to that sort of comment. But with Lynch there isn’t an outlier film, they’re all just various grades of Lynch, and if that’s not your thing then it’s really not your thing.

I have other engagements those days and will be missing it, so I’ll just hold on to my memories of seeing it in the theater when I was 12 with my Mom who was totally lost. I do remember that they handed out a glossary when you got your tickets which you were apparently supposed to memorize? Because you can’t read the tiny type in the dark while the movie’s playing.

2 Likes

I fluv Corridor Crew…

:hugs:

It’s not my thing, and thank you for sparing me the insulting tedium which so many rabid fanboys seem incapable of refraining from regurgitating, upon learning that there are people that exist who don’t adore their preferred fandom.

Most appreciated.

8 Likes

Elephant Man. Very little Lynchian flourish and one of the most humane and masterfully executed films of all time. And as a bonus, it was produced by Mel Brooks!

7 Likes

I’d also point to The Straight Story, one of his best, I daresay.

6 Likes

And both of those examples would still NOT change my opinion.

It’s okay if not everyone enjoys the same things; it really is.

6 Likes

Before the Villeneuve version, I would watch the Lynch version only because it was the more interesting available adaptation of the story. But now I never have to watch it again, thanks to the Villeneuve version. There might be a way to make a more faithful, more beautiful adaptation of the book, but I personally can’t imagine how.

2 Likes

Lynch’s Dune was my introduction to the story, and it got me to read the book, which is one of my all time favorites, at a fairly young age. For that, it will always have a special meaning for me.

As a film, though, it’s a complete train wreck (a beautiful train wreck, but train wreck nonetheless). I frankly think even the Sci-Fi Channel adaptations are better (and that’s not saying much).

7 Likes

I actually rather like Lynch’s Dune. To me it’s a mess, but a beautiful mess, like Bresson’s The Fifth Element, which also has gained a following over the decades.

It seems to me a good attempt at filming an unfilmable book, rather like the Bakshi animated version of The Lord of the Rings was a failed attempt on LoTR, eventually surpassed by Jackson’s epic series.

IDK if the Villeneuve version was helped or hindered by the Lynch attempt. I wish I could have seen the modern Dune in the cinema, because it has huge scope, but I was too afraid of Covid at the time.

5 Likes

As with many others here, I´ve spent several similar periods of time watching scenery go past my car window that were more engaging than I found this film.

The Straight Story was so unexpectedly normal that it actually blew my mind. Way to subvert expectations!

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never actually seen it, mainly because I’m kind of saving it. Who’d have thunk Lynch + Disney?

1 Like

Plus, it’s based on a true story!

1 Like

I really enjoyed it, and am looking forward to part 2.

8 Likes

That is so misguided it’s kind of endearing. Which basically sums up the film for me.

3 Likes

IMHO, his most accessible film is The Straight Story. Definitely un-Lynchian, a gentle tale based on a true story. We found it quite enjoyable.

Yep! Someone got in ahead of me…AGAIN.

1 Like

If by nothing else, I’d say it was helped by seeing how way, way overused “exposition” of characters’ thoughts could work against a film.

1 Like