David Lynch's Dune to return to movie theaters in February

Saw that tow other folks liked/recco’d it, thanks.

Still not interested; thanks.

It might not be traditional Lynchian, but it is still Disney.

1 Like

I admire Lynch’s Dune for the brilliant use of forced perspective to give the impression of huge sets, and the amazing miniatures that went along with that. That’s about it. (Not by me, but there might be something to be said for using condoms for the sandworm rings’ fleshy innards and employing used body bags as material for the Guild characters’ costumes.)

I’m sorry that my post seems to have brought out the very behavior it was calling out.

I will admit, as a huge Lynch fan my first thought on reading your post was “But have you seen The Straight Story?” But my second thought was how rude that could feel to the person on the receiving end. Unfortunately my third thought was “Maybe I could turn this into a humorous post on the polarizing nature of David Lynch films.” Should have stopped at the second thought.

2 Likes

Weird how that happens, huh?

4 Likes

Maaaybe. The Spice Diver fan edit on YT made me like it a lot more.

sailor
:wink:

1 Like

Chani and Paul’s love grew.

The spice must flow.

2 Likes

I prefer watching it at home, the screen may be smaller but it isn’t so ear shatteringly loud. That being said I’m planning on a theater venture for part 2 (maybe even for the Lynch version as well, it is a profoundly weird movie) I will however be bringing earplugs.

9 Likes

What, bigger than Eraserhead??? LOLOL

(Though dirty secret, I actually like Eraserhead. But you mostly need to be very, very stoned. )

2 Likes

They call it David Lynch’s Dune, but he did have to make it within the constraints of Dino De Laurentiis, not exactly a blank canvas.

3 Likes

Huh. Dino was Exec Producer, but according to IMDB he was uncredited. Instead it was his daughter, Raffaella De Laurentiis, who was lead producer.

But to your point, directors seldom have total control.

1 Like

manatee GIF

4 Likes

As an 80s child there is nothing wrong with the original version, its the re make that’s lacking, its trying to be too real and normal, it has no identity out side of the fact its the remake of a better film…

Dragged out into two films…

For me the biggest problem with Lynch’s Dune is Kyle MacLachlan. I’m really not a fan. Though Lynch clearly is.

Sting, otoh, was an excellent casting choice.

2 Likes

Kyle MacLachlan, is no Patrick Stewart with a pug and a gun…

3 Likes

In the book Room to Dream, Lynch pretty much pins the entire experience of Dune on Dino. That’s from budget to truncated run time.

The question of which is better movie aside, NO. It is another take on the book, not a remake of the Lynch film.

1 Like