DB Cooper mystery: new dig for evidence underway on Washington river bank

Which makes absolutely no sense, btw. The parachutes or money wouldn’t really show up on GPR (unless saturated with water, maybe) and the pit they would be buried in would be so small and shallow that it would be hard to identify on a plot. Not to mention you can never get good coverage in a wooded area.

This is the wrong usage scenario for geophysical prospection. You’d probably be better served with a metal detector survey, hoping that the metal fastenings on his briefcase would give a good signal, but even that is a desperate play.

Of course this is assuming you actually know what you’re doing and are interested in using the most efficient methodology, not what looks most science-y on TV.

4 Likes

and how hard it can be to move through dense forest without a trail to follow…

3 Likes

Yeah that was my impression, especially the too shallow bit.

But what else are you gonna do when dowsing fails?

I think the intention with the ground penetrating radar was to find a large, deliberately buried cache. Which isn’t really a realistic expectation anyway. Some argue the found bills must have washed out of such a cache, but there’s no real reason to believe that.

1 Like

I get the reference (vaguely) but … which specific one is it from?

Why, it’s Frau Hoffner and Polo.

D’oh! Of course. :man_facepalming:

I had a Two Ronnies running spoof drama (from one of their series) in mind.

1 Like

Other than the few bits of cash the kid found in the mud, there has never been evidence of any other bills circulating in the US. If DB Cooper lived through the entire ordeal, he didn’t spend any of the money. That, in itself, is very odd.

3 Likes

D.B. Cooper seems to be the Oak Island of the West Coast.

4 Likes

Clearly you do. :wink:

Absence of something is not evidence of an outcome. People die without leaving a trace all the time. You die (or land dead) 50 miles into the woods in 1970? I guarantee nobody ever finds your body.

2 Likes

I have a theory on this one! But I need some research to turn it from a theory into an argument….

Basically, there was significant “unofficial dollarization” in Mexico and Central America in the 70s. US dollars were accepted as a de facto currency broadly in the region. Cooper’s bills could have entered circulation without ever making their way back to their home country.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.