DC comic creator regrets seeing "Cats" on 'shrooms

The truly bad movies i’ve seen at home (the worst being Sgt Pepper movie and Surf Nazis Must Die), Howard The Duck is pretty baffling, though Universal Soldier is camp at its best.

The Cats movie being the exception because i knew it was a disaster and needed to witness how bad it was, that and there’s a local Austin comedy group akin to MST3K called Master Pancake and they’ve been roasting the Cats trailer for months so me and my roommate needed to see the movie on its own before we eventually go see them rip the movie apart.

4 Likes

Considering the original is a hot mess wrapped around a few decent songs and one good song. What did anyone expect from a movie version?

1 Like

Wait yeah paid money for that. Though to be fair I was a bit young then and didn’t realize what a mess of a movie it was.

1 Like

I talked about this with my roommate after having seen the movie. My gut check is that its possible to make a Cats movie that’d be decent or even good, but i think by necessity it would need to jettison 90% of the musical and start over. At that point it’d probably be better to do something original.

1 Like

Jettison Andrew Lloyd Weber altogether, and I’d be fine with that.

9 Likes

5 Likes

I saw Bill Cosby’s “Leonard Part 6” in the theatre…

4 Likes

Holy cow lol, i’ve actually been thinking about this movie lately and how insane it is. I remember seeing that on TV as a kid and it was still crazy weird to see at that age.

2 Likes

I saw that one in the theaters and I dearly love that horrible film (I was 10 at the time so that’s probably why I love it)

2 Likes

I watched it with a group of friends over some drinks, about a 1/3rd of the way into the movie we got bored enough that we weren’t even watching the TV anymore and were just talking among each other. About halfway into the movie we just turned it off, i do recall liking Steve Martin but my mind has erased everything else about it.

Maybe the movie isn’t as bad as i remember it being and i’m being too harsh on it, though i certainly hope you don’t take my criticism of it personally. I’m just some random guy and if you do like it more power to you :slight_smile:

1 Like
2 Likes

“Memories” was cast to counter the aether drag introduced by “Mack the Knife”, saving us all from doom.

3 Likes

And of course on the main post page on BB I get an ad for a mousetrap (the implement, not the play), and then on the original blog’s site I get:

1 Like

According to ten year old me, the Sgt Pepper movie is a work of genius. I watched it as many times as I could when it was on HBO.

1 Like

The only time I went to a movie on shrooms(movies are kind of unnecessary extra stimulation really) I saw the movie “Scream”. Seeing a horror movie on shrooms might seem like a bad idea in theory, but I really enjoyed it. The fact that none of it was real was inescapable and it was kind of like watching a rollicking high school play or something. It was a very meta experience, and since the movie itself was intentionally meta, I think I enjoyed it in a way I might not have otherwise.

3 Likes

Thank you friend. you’ve reinforced my urge to eat shrooms and go

so YOU’RE the one

If The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has taught me anything its that “Cats” was never really a musical. It was merely a scam to get people to sit down for 2 hours. Afterwards the cast goes rummaging through the seat cushions for loose change.

8 Likes

I can relate, i’m sure there’s movies that i hold in high esteem that don’t seem like that big of a deal to others. Last Action Hero being one of those, it’s a terrible movie and kid me thinks it was awesome.

I still think it’s awesome though

5 Likes

“Person regrets seeing “Cats”” is probably an apt enough title.

2 Likes